Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Windows 8 with Boot Camp 4 now can't upgrade to 5?

Alright here goes, I got a new 2012 Macbook Pro 13" for Christmas. I installed Windows 8 onto it using Boot Camp 4.0. Now that the new software is out, I have downloaded it and tried to use it to install Boot Camp on Windows 8. (On 4.0, the Boot Camp control panel doesn't work.). However, on trying to install, I keep getting an error and to try again. Hs anybody run into this thus far? What do you do? An uninstall of Boot Camp 4.0 doesn't appear to work...

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 8 GB RAM, 2.9 GHz i7

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:16 PM

11 replies

Mar 16, 2013 8:13 AM in response to CoriolisSTORM

As an update, (since I can't seem to edit my original post), the exact message after clicking setup.exe is thus:

"The installer encountered errors before Boot Camp could be configured. To retry these operations at a later time please run the installer again."

I've redownloaded the drivers as well to ensure it wasn't a corrupted download.

Mar 16, 2013 8:56 AM in response to CoriolisSTORM

Im getting the exact same message when I try to run the installer exe to update to the new Bootcamp v5.0.5033. I've tried to Change / Repair "Bootcamp Services" from Add remove programs which results in the same message on the installer window, after closing the installer window, it says "Fatal error during installation" in another message box.

I will find out where the installer logs are being created and post an update on what i find in them when I have some more time to waste.

Mar 16, 2013 2:04 PM in response to CoriolisSTORM

I was also having this issue. What resolved it for me was checking in the device manager to see what drivers the system had installed. I had previously installed AirDisplay, a VNC client, which had apparently installed its own display drivers in addition to the ones Apple had put in under BootCamp 4. I went to add/remove programs, and deleted all of the software for AirDisplay, which also deleted these drivers, and then I was able to run the installer. Hope that helps you narrow it down!

Mar 16, 2013 3:31 PM in response to Spikeddy13

Thank you so much, that worked for me!

I removed the Real VNC Mirror driver and the Bootcamp Installer was able to start installing the drivers. I must note that during the installation of the Intel Display drivers, my screen went black and the cursor became partially responsive to touchpad input - It was able to move for about two seconds and freeze for another 2. It did this repeatedly until after 3 minutes i decided to hard reset the machine. Booted into Win 8 Pro as it normally did, I restarted the Bootcamp installer and chose the "Repair" option - everything installed successfully and ended with a controlled restart.

Im not sure what the latter issue was, but it may have something to do with the re-initialization of the monitor.

FYI: I'm using a 13" rMBP (2012)

I dont know how to flag that this relpy helped me.

Sep 4, 2013 11:11 PM in response to CoriolisSTORM

None of the solutions above worked for me. I solved the problem by using Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter to uninstall version 4 of the program "Boot Camp Services". Once version 4 was removed I was then able to successfully run the Bootcamp 5 setup.exe program.

Similar to the experience of other people, I could not remove version 4 of Boot Camp Services from the list of programs in the Control Panel simply by clicking on the "Uninstall" option because each time I tried to uninstall it I received the following error message: "Boot Camp requires that your system is running Windows 7". The only way that I was able to uninstall version 4 of Boot Camp Services was to use Microsoft's troubleshooter.

Installed Windows 8 with Boot Camp 4 now can't upgrade to 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.