Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an OEM Version of Windows Work with Bootcamp?

I am planning on getting Windows for my iMac, and I wasnt sure what version/type of windows is should get.

Im dont know whether to get an upgrade, the OEM Version, or anything else.

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 7:19 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You are using OS X 10.8.3, so you can install Windows 7 and, depending on the Mac you have, Windows 8. You can check it in this page > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

You shouldn't use a OEM version because you will break the EULA and you won't get support from Microsoft, as it's a version designed to be preinstalled in PCs. You have to get the retail version. Apart from that, if you haven't got Windows installed yet, you have to get the full edition instead of an upgrade edition

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2013 7:19 PM in response to TheSpyderSilk

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You are using OS X 10.8.3, so you can install Windows 7 and, depending on the Mac you have, Windows 8. You can check it in this page > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

You shouldn't use a OEM version because you will break the EULA and you won't get support from Microsoft, as it's a version designed to be preinstalled in PCs. You have to get the retail version. Apart from that, if you haven't got Windows installed yet, you have to get the full edition instead of an upgrade edition

Mar 16, 2013 4:42 AM in response to TheSpyderSilk

Forget about support from MS. They don't support the retail versions.

If it is a System Builder OEM version YES you can use that. What you can't use is an OEM version from a major manufacturer like Dell, HP, Toshiba and the like. Those OEM versions will only install on the manufacturers computers.

As to the other side of support you will not be restricted from downloading any and all of the Windows Updates now available or in the future until MS stops supporting Windows 7. Which won't be for years, like 2020.

Mar 16, 2013 5:26 AM in response to TheSpyderSilk

You can also currently purchase Parallels 8 at a discount of $49.99 in the March 2013 MacUpdate 10 App Bundle.

Parallels can access the Bootcamp partition if and when you need concurrent access to Windows and Mt. Lion.

Parallels can also install and run Windows XP, but it will be saved into a separate .pvm file for Parallels use -- Mt. Lion cannot have a Windows XP Bootcamp partition, unless your iMac was originally able to boot Snow Leopard or earlier.

Mar 16, 2013 5:21 AM in response to TheSpyderSilk

Depending on how much RAM you have installed in your iMac and the type of Windows programs you plan on running, like standard Office programs not Graphic intense program like games and photo editing programs, you might be better off using a Virtual Machine software program so you can run both Windows and OS X at the same time. It sure beat having a Dual Boot system, IMHO. Of course that is just the way I feel about Dual Boot systems. You always seem to need to go back to the other OS then back again into the other, Booting and rebooting.

I've been using VMs on both Mac and Windows now for some time and will never have another Dual Boot system.

TheSpyderSilk wrote:

I need windows becuase theyre are many windows programs that i need for school work and other needs

I want to use bootcamp as i know the OS X and Win will run smoother

Does an OEM Version of Windows Work with Bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.