Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

memory problems

i movie memory issue's and crashing

macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 9:53 PM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2013 1:07 AM in response to goulash

Hi

Oh Dear. You must tell much much more - to set me/us up on track to be able to help.

Was there any Error Messages ?

Can it be so that Your Main (Start-Up) Hard disk is filling up ?

• I never let my go less than 25GB free space - as all starts to go in slow-motion and various problems occurs.

If this is Your problem too - then there are some VERY Important things to know/do

• You need to free up space

The most common way to do this is to get an external hard disk and move material over to this. BUT

• This external hard disk - MUST BE Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted. You do this when it's brand new as

it will erase the disk to 100%. So it's best to do this from start.

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most other things but NOT FOR VIDEO - no matter if iMovie or iDVD or FinalCut or Whatever. It's a must.

NEXT - VERY Important bit is - NEVER to MOVE or alter any folder named

- iMovie Event's - or -

- iMovie Project's

on DeskTop/Finder !

Moving - Project's and Event's over to the New Hard Disk - MUST BE DONE inside the iMovie Application !

Else the connection to iMovie is broken/lost and this can be anything from hard to impossibly to be mended if done on desktop.

BUT - Please Please tell much more !

Yours Guessing Bengt W

Sep 9, 2013 4:14 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

I have a Mac Pro 10.6.8. I have just begun to bring clips from my external hard drives onto my Final Cut Pro timeline. Some of the clips end up with a red line above them on the time-line.I click onto SEQUENCE and then click on RENDER. In most cases the RENDERING cleans the clipss and deletes the red line above them,

however, nowI'm receivinga text message that says: ERROR: MEMORY IS LOST.

HOW DO I STOP THIS. DOI NEED TO UPGRADE MY RAM? HOW MUCH SO?

Under MEMORY on my status page, it says I have 6GB in myMEMORY.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Sep 9, 2013 4:28 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Red Line - means that Your material don't match the project You set up to create.

I would rather than Sequense/Render - either:

• Set up a new project but this time match it with material used

- frame rates

- Codecs etc

or

- Convert material to same as project - before bringing it into FinalCut

If not - You'll need to render all the time - and it get's tedious rather quick

AND - most probably it is the culprit to the Memory message - Your Mac get's into problem and fires off a help message - somethime with a noncens message.

I use - streamingDV (miniDV tape) material - and set up a standard FireWire PAL project

all AUDIO - I keep as .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or from audio CD .aiff 44.1kHz - NO .mp3 or other alient formats.

By keeping material and project in harmony - everything runs so much better.

My Mac has less RAM than Yours - so it must be something else.

Yours Bengt W

memory problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.