Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV only plays one video from Windows 8 x64 machine homesharing then drops out

Hi,

I can only play one video from my Windows 8 x64 machine with iTunes homesharing to my Apple TV and then when i try to play the next video i get the loading sign forever. The only way to fix it is to go to the other room and close iTunes and reopen it. Then i can play one more video but its just one at a time. After the video finished playing i can still navigate the shared library from the Windows machine and the thumbnails appear but if i try to play anything it just sits on the loading screen until i restart iTunes.

I have tried different routers a Dlink n750 2.4ghz and 5ghz network and a Belkin G network as well as different multicast settings and checking for interference. I have loaded my entire itunes library onto a different PC, a laptop with windows 8 x64 and get the same issue, I deleted itunes and reinstalled it and re-added all my music and video files, still after that getting the same issue. I re-formatted the Apple TV box, still same issues. I gave everything a static IP address. I set the Apple TV to never sleep as some of the forums sugested. Ive turned off my firewalls and played with them.

Im at the point now where i think ive tried everything over the past few weeks and its not my issue, Its a problem with Apple TV or itunes. Any other sugestions?

Apple TV, Windows 7, windows 8, iphone 5, ipad 3

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 9:53 PM

8 replies

Mar 18, 2013 1:52 AM in response to scienceboy

Hi,

I am having the same problem which is very annoying

I have spent days trying to solve that issue

My new ATV will play one song from Home Sharing and then drops trying endlessly to buffer the next

song UNTIL I restart Itunes again (laptop runnig windows 7 with itunes 11.0.2.something)

I almost tried all suggested workarounds but none helped.

Very frustrating.

router ,fixed ip, multicast filtering, lan ethernet connection, direct - NOTHING!

AND NOW THE BIG SURPRISE

I have ny daughter PC runnug windiws XP with Itunes 11.0.1 or so

and ATV PLAYING all her HOME SHARING library smoothly without even one drop!

Also I want to add when my main Home sharing laptop disappears from my ATV after playing one song

also my iphone will loose its connection (the REMOTE applicaiotn).

Dont know what to do

Eddie

Mar 18, 2013 4:45 PM in response to scienceboy

I have ATV3 and Windows Vista. I just fixed it by opening TCP Port 3689 and UDP Port 5353. i selected subnet only. Now i can switch between movies and music and back again.

I found the information at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2972

My problem was i could watch one movie. after trying to switch to another movie ATV would just hang loading it. Upon itunes restart, I could select one movie again. Then lock up.

This seems to work for me. I just went through about 5 movies. Started them. Stopped them. Then selected another movie. i was able to select and start the next movie each time.

I hope this may help. I spent a lot of times searching for "freezing" and such. So, thanks for your post. It got me on the right track.

Mar 19, 2013 3:10 AM in response to scienceboy

Hi ,

I had this same annoying issue ever since I bought the ATV3.

home sharing on my 32 bit windows 7 pc lost contact after

playing one song (tunes 11.0.2)

While in the same time home sharing on my daughter PC plated continueously (itunes 11.0.1 Windows XP)

After a thorough search on the net and inside APPLE forums the issue

was resolved at least for my case.

Both two Apple bonjour services were configured PUBLIC in my windows firewall inbound connection!

Why dont ask me...

the moment I reconfigured them PRIVATE and restarted itunes I WAS ABLE TO PLAY

MY ENTIRE LIBRARAY ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

of course without a single **** drop out!

hope I have been a help to someone with same problem

Eddie

Apr 14, 2013 9:26 AM in response to eddienegri

I had tried everything in Windows 8 to solve this problem before I found this thread. Opening the firewall and finding Bonjour services and making all four instance had private boxes checked worked for me as well.

I had 4 instances of Bonjour running. 2 for UDP and 2 for FTP. I am guessing that the extra two are from trying to reinstall iTunes or another of the many things I tried. The rules seem to be duplicates.

Thank you!

Apple TV only plays one video from Windows 8 x64 machine homesharing then drops out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.