Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion won't let me sign into my user account

Hello all, hopefully someone can give me some advice for the problem I'm having.

My MBPr won't let me sign into my user account or the guest user account.

I'm running Mountain Lion, I've tried resetting the PRAM and changing the user name using the Terminal app in the Recovery partition.

I am typing the correct password it just seems like it's trying to log in and then kicks back out and "refreshes" the login screen.

Anything else I could try before I do a reinstall?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 1:58 AM

Well, I ended up booting into the Recovery partition and selected "Reinstall Mountain Lion".

After it downloaded for about an hour an a half it reinstalled the operating system and then had me restart the computer.

I restarted and instead of going through the setup process, I was asked to login.

The new password worked! and all my stuff was still there!

I guess it was good I didn't wipe the drive before doing the reinstall, not sure what went wrong to begin with but now things are going well again. Hurray!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2013 1:58 AM in response to Trumania

Well, I ended up booting into the Recovery partition and selected "Reinstall Mountain Lion".

After it downloaded for about an hour an a half it reinstalled the operating system and then had me restart the computer.

I restarted and instead of going through the setup process, I was asked to login.

The new password worked! and all my stuff was still there!

I guess it was good I didn't wipe the drive before doing the reinstall, not sure what went wrong to begin with but now things are going well again. Hurray!

Mountain Lion won't let me sign into my user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.