Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electric Drum Kit in GB, HELP!

Ok, I have no idea what's going on, but it's really really ticking me off.

So I just blew a few hundred bucks on an electric drum set, a Simmons. A few weeks ago, my friend who just bought one plugged it into my MacBook Pro via USB, and when I opened up Garageband, the set was detected and we were able to record immediately. I just bought one for myself, set it up correctly and everything. So I plugged it in via USB and opened up Garageband, and wham, it says my MIDI device was detected. However, NOTHING I do comes up on the Mac. It detects none of my drum playing or anything. It gives me no other options than "System Setting" or "Built-In Microphone", in preferences for the audio input, but it says "One MIDI input detected". And the option is grayed out when I start a new Software Instrument track. Nothing is registered on the computer.

*** IS GOING ON!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 11:59 PM

10 replies

Mar 17, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Vinny554

Not knowing all the details of your system I will ask you a few questions that you can use as a checklist.

You are wanting to use the Simmons as a MIDI Drum Controller ONLY. Correct? You plugged the USB cable from the Drum Module to your Mac and you went into your Audio Midi settings found inside your Utilities folder to make sure the device is recognized and you have the proper MIDI receive Channel(s) selected right? Midi Channel 10 is the standard channel for Drums in most cases.

If there is a selector switch on your Drum Module for USB MIDI Out you made sure it is transmitting the MIDI info out the USB Bus and not selected (if any) for the MIDI Out 5 pin Din Connector correct? And if need be you selected the device in GB's preferences and then selected a Midi Drum Kit on a midi track, put it in record ready and what?

Mar 17, 2013 12:42 PM in response to mdee

Ok so, yes, I don't want to record the drum's audio, I just want to record a MIDI track and use Toontrack's Superior Drummer to trigger the MIDI notes.

The drum set is plugged in via USB. There is no option on the drumset to switch from MIDI Cable to USB, it picks it up automatically. Once it's plugged in, Garageband says "One MIDI input detected". Other than that, nothing. When MIDI devices are plugged in, usually on the bottom of the screen you see a light flash whenever the MIDI device is in use, or a note is played. Nothing shows up.

I did go into my Mac's Audio MIDI Device Steup app, and the drumset is there, but when I double click it it gives me no options. Literally just shows the name and manufacturer and states it's connected via USB. That's all, it doesnt have the properties menu aside it to change the receiving channels.

Mar 17, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Vinny554

Ok so if the green light is not flashing then either your drums are not transmitting the MIDI signal or the Mac is not receiving it. Are there any Global MIDI Parameters/Menu's on the Drum Module? I'd check that first.

Next by any chance do you have another USB cable you can swap out? Finally do you by any chance have an Audio Midi Interface? I ask because I have a Yamaha DTX500 Module that is MIDI out only (no USB). #1. I have a MIDI cable going from the Drum Module into my MOTU Audio Interface. The MOTU shows up in the Audio MIDI Settings and #2. I created a DTX500 Instrument that is physically plugged into it.

In the #3. Garageband Preferences I select the MOTU Audio Interface and for Drums #4. I select Addictive Drums.

User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2013 2:53 PM in response to mdee

Wow, lot's of valuable info here!

There is a menu on the set, but no Local Output or anything for the MIDI. Just sounds and things like other preoaded crap drum kits.

I'm probably going to give the USB to MIDI interface thing a shot...one of those cables. The Simmons rep said an Interface should do the trick.

Now, on the Apple Audio MIDI Device Setup (picture 2), the properties tab is NOT visible on my drumset for some reason. Not sure why. I'm going to also try another USB cable. For your interface, do you have MIDI going to the interface, and then USB to the Mac, or MIDI to the Mac?

Mar 17, 2013 3:39 PM in response to Vinny554

My set up is: Yamaha DTX500 Drum Module's MIDI Out --> to MIDI In on my MOTU 828. MOTU 828 is FireWire 800 Out --> to iMac FW800. I had to create the Generic Module in my Audio Midi Settings for my DTX500. To access it I double clicked on it. BUT I have a Keyboard controller that is USB and it just floats inside the Audio Midi Setup. (see picture) It doesn't show those same settings so most likely this is how you see your Drum Module? My final advice to you is to get with your friend and copy down his exact settings from the Drum Module settings Menus to the Audio Midi Settings in the Mac and the Preference Settings inside Garageband. Good Luck! 🙂

User uploaded file

May 13, 2015 1:55 AM in response to Vinny554

Hi Vinnie, I know this is a bit late, but I'll post anyway just in case it helps someone else. I have noticed this USB issue is quite widespread not just with electronic drums but has never been resolved by a real definitive solution posted by anyone. My e-kit is a KAT KT1 and I've had the exact same USB issue as you described.

Here's the fix for this problem. There is nothing wrong with standard USB cables. The reason the USB cable drops the MIDI signal is because the heavy midi data flow starves the signal continuity of the USB. I suspected that this might be the case because I recall that some of my older (power hungry) USB devices had two USB connections to my computer - one dedicated for the USB signal, and the other labeled and dedicated as 'power.'

So I put the theory to the test. I connected the USB cable from my electronic drum kit module to a "powered USB hub." Then from the hub I connected another USB cable to my computer and GarageBand. All the other USB cables that didn't work previously now works perfectly.

Electric Drum Kit in GB, HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.