Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Safari Security Update 2013-001

I installed Safari SecUpd2013-001. After installation I restarted my MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, as it is suggested. Now my Safari (5.1.8) doesn't work at all!? It crashes each time I want to use it. By the way, I found the solution! In the past I installed Safari plug-in SafariStand. When I removed it - Safari 5.1.8 works like charm.

MacBook Pro (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2GB RAM,iPod 5th G, LaCie DualLayer

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 1:43 AM

7 replies

Mar 21, 2013 4:46 AM in response to hubertusbe

In my experience you don't need to remove SIMBL to get Safari working again

I experienced exactly the same crash-on-launch symptons as DEJMAC following the 2013-001 Security Update. Chances are, you have SafariStand 5.1.182 installed.

You need to either remove "SafariStand.bundle" from ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/

...or just update it.

You can get SafariStand5.1.183 from http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

This version works fine with Safari 5.1.8 and I love it!

Use Get Info to check the version (click on the file and press Cmd+I)

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with SIMBL or Safari Stand in my opinion (based on my own experience), however, the latest security updates have tinkered under the hood of safari (outdated flash plugins are now disabled automatically for example) so this kind of glitch is inevitable but it does not fundamentally undermine the concept of SIMBL as has been suggested.

I have several SIMBL plugins running under Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and have no problems. The latest SafariStand for SL works just fine with Safari 5.1.8

For instructions, see my post in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4890746

Mar 24, 2013 3:53 PM in response to gaberdine mac

I tried it and it's really true - now with SafariStand 5.1.183 incl. SIMBL everything works fine again.

Thank you very much -

What I don't understand is, how I can donate points inside of this forum to somebody who helped me here?

How can I give 10 points for 'This solved my problem' and

how can I give 5 points for 'This helped me'?

and the 'Like' button here has nothing to do with the facebook one, right?

Thanks in advance -

Mar 24, 2013 6:31 PM in response to hubertusbe

Glad to help.

You'll probably find the sidebar feature doesn't work well in SafariStand now - but it was never fully implemented for Safari 5.1 anyway. Best just to turn it off in SafariStand settings.

I don't think you can bestow any points unless you posted the original question in the thread - but I'm not here for the points, just to spread the loveand share what little I've learned.

(Just buy me a beer if you're ever in South London )

😉

Problem with Safari Security Update 2013-001

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.