Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I crop a PDF with Preview.

For some strange reason, when I crop a PDF using preview the rest of the PDF is still “their” when opened using other software.

I truly want to crop a PDF and have the uncropped portions completely go away. Do I really have to open Photoshop to do this?

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 8:41 AM

You can use commnad shift 4 and draw a marquee around what you want and click, a image file appears on the desktop that you can change into a PDF or Jpg, using Preview or the free LibreOffice drawing program.

The limitation is your screen size of course.

To edit a PDF you need Adobe's software.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Ziatron

You can use commnad shift 4 and draw a marquee around what you want and click, a image file appears on the desktop that you can change into a PDF or Jpg, using Preview or the free LibreOffice drawing program.

The limitation is your screen size of course.

To edit a PDF you need Adobe's software.

Apr 11, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Ziatron

"there" not "their" - unless I am really confused about what you are doing !

I put a white rectangle over what I wanted to crop out of the pdf I was working on.

Not a proper solution, i then needed to use "export as PDF" of my PDF so that the next user of the document couldn't simply lift off the rectangle I had put on the document to cover what ideally I would have removed.

Add mark up is something else I tried, to black out the text that I wanted concealed, but we are limited to a slim choice of colours, not including black.

I would like to see a function "crop" with "crop inside" and "crop outside" options. I am not familiar with Adobe or other software. Presumably since they invented it, Adobe is the place to go if you have repeated exercises requiring meddling with Adobe documents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.