Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange things happening on imac startup. Need advice! (pre 10.8.3 update)

Hey there!

So I turned my imac (2.7 i5 OS X 10.8.2 12GB RAM 1TB) on this morning and got no chime and black screen.

Held power button in to turn off, turn back on, got the chime this time but got stuck on load screen with spinning wheel thing (it stopped spinning).

Turned off again, turn back on, got the password screen but it wouldn't recognise my password.

Turned off AGAIN! Back on again this time starting as normal.

Went to check for updates straight after, tried updating to 10.8.3 and my civilisation game, the game update failed and it asked me to try again which I did and that worked, then turned off to finished the 10.8.3 update which then failed.

imac is now starting normally and everything seems ok apart from the fact that I'm still on 10.8.2 and the 10.8.3 isn't available in the app store any more.

Tried update to 10.8.3 via combo download on Apple site but that failed also, saying it could open the disk image or something.

Things I've done:

• Checked and Repaired permissions, verified disk.
  • I recently install Eastwest Symphonic orchestra which I'm running with Logic Pro 9 and an iLok - This was working fine for a day or two.
  • imac now boots normally with my MIDI keyboard, audio interface, external hardrive and iLok connected.

So much stuff has happened to my imac today it's been crazy! With important projects in progress this in worrying from Apple!

Any suggestions for further action?

Karl.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.7 GHz 12GB RAM 1TB

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 9:02 AM

11 replies

Mar 16, 2013 5:01 PM in response to baltwo

Many thanks for the reply.

Changed my info, thanks for pointing that out.

I reset the PRAM and held the power button in to reset the other thing whilst the power cable was out. Booted normally after this.

Few questions:

How will re-installing the OS affect my system? Will all my files and data be intact?

If I do re-install which OS will I get? My imac didn't come with Mountain Lion.

Are you saying the update will work after reinstalling OS?

To someone who's never re-installed their Mac OS before it seems a little over kil, but if it's a common thing to do then there shouldn't be a problem.

Will let you know if it continues.

Karl.l

Mar 16, 2013 8:53 PM in response to karlitofingers

karlitofingers wrote:

I reset the PRAM and held the power button in to reset the other thing whilst the power cable was out. Booted normally after this.

Glad that fixed the restart issue.

If I do re-install which OS will I get? My imac didn't come with Mountain Lion.

AFAIK, it'll restore the latest that you've purchased. If not, simply reinstall ML on top of whatever it puts down.

Are you saying the update will work after reinstalling OS?

Should. I have copies of all installers, so I can restore any w/o using rcovery mode.

Strange things happening on imac startup. Need advice! (pre 10.8.3 update)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.