Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Formatting this drive will delete all files on it": Does this mean all my files will be wiped from the hard drive?

I know Boot Camp Assistant says my files won't be deleted when partitioning but will they be?

There is a warning: "Formatting this drive will delete files on it."

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 12:35 PM

4 replies

Mar 16, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Csound1

Opened boot camp assistant alloted 32 G for windows XP. Inserted disc and windows started installing. Chose "bootcamp 32G partition" Installation continued wanted to continue partitioning but posted the warning above.

Frequently asked questions states: "Using BCA will not erase information on the Mac OS volume."

I want to be sure files will not be erased by partitioning.

Another warning: using 3rd party disc utilities to partition may erease the disk. The 3rd party disc or files on the HD?

Mar 16, 2013 12:58 PM in response to allen272

What you are saying makes no sense. Boot Camp formats the partition before installing Windows, you could not have got this far without a formatted partition. Windows 7 requires you to reformat the partition to NTFS, and it does it using the Windows installer.

Take a picture of this message if you are unable to tell me where it came from.

"Formatting this drive will delete all files on it": Does this mean all my files will be wiped from the hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.