Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade of iPhone 3GS to IOS 6.1.2 failed and gave me no reason/error code (normal for iTunes). The only option it gave me was a restore to factory settings. This I did but now the Activation via Wifi refuses to work.

The most risky operation on any iPhone or iPad is the IOS upgrade. In my experience 1 in 4 fail disasterously with no explanation. The upgrade of my old iPhone 3GS from IOS 6.0 something to 6.1.2 has just failed at the very end of the upgrade process, giving no error message or reason. The only option it offered me was a "Restore" by which it ment back to the factory settings; I was not offered a restore from backup. This was done and now I have to go through the Activation process, select language, region/country and wifi network before the Activation attempt which always fails with the reason"Your iPhone coulde not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable.......". Also the phone does not connect to the mobile network. I am physically located in Germany with a SIM from a French Operator SFR.

I have wasted many hours on this iPhone/iTunes bug and am fast losing my patience with Apple and its software bugs.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 3:49 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2013 4:20 AM in response to chasinbayern

I would like to thank everybody, especially Apple for their fantastic response to my problem. It is obvious to me that the poor Apple corportion cares nothing for their customers who pay a premium buying Apple products over those of the competition. We are left fighting with Apple's software bugs with little or no help. Compare the situation of Microsoft whose flagship Windows OS is by far more complex is rock solid/stable even though it has to run on many thousands of different hardware platforms; whereas Apple IOS for iPhones runs on a single hardware platform and is unstable and bug-ridden. You risk everything every time you committ to an IOS upgrade not knowing if you will ever be able to use your device again. Pretty cool idea to let your customers debug you lousy software!

Mar 24, 2013 5:44 AM in response to chasinbayern

Generally this is a sign that the iPhone had previously been

hacked/modified/jailbroken and the update relocked it to the

original wireless carrier. If this is the case, only that wireless

carrier can unlock your iPhone. You must contact them to see

if they offer unlocking and if you qualify.

Where did you acquire this iPhone?

What wireless carrier did you use before this problem?

Does the app Cydia appear on your iPhone?

What does it say when you look at Settings=>General=>About=>Carrier?

Unauthorized modification of iOS

Upgrade of iPhone 3GS to IOS 6.1.2 failed and gave me no reason/error code (normal for iTunes). The only option it gave me was a restore to factory settings. This I did but now the Activation via Wifi refuses to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.