Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert audio to midi - with timing detection!

Hello,

I often want to engrave notation for for songs which the musicians I play with write, and play by ear. Just a monophonic melody line would be good enough. So I record them, and learn the song well enough that I can play it on my MIDI keyboard while listening to the recording. But I want to listen to the recording while I am playing, not the metronome click of a sequencer. This is because I haven't taken enough time to memorize the song. Currently, I memorize a few measures at a time. It's a pain.

I want to convert my playing into a MIDI file, with proper timing. I own Finale and Apple's MainStage, but don't own any sequencer app except the free GarageBand. I see three possible solutions to this problem…

• Buy Celemony's Melodyne. But this problem is not worth 600 USD to me.
  • For 99 USD, buy the WIDI Recognition System app. I just did some testing with their demo and, although it is OK at detecting pitches if I use the Electra Piano in MainStage (which is pretty much pure sine waves), it does not detect my timing. It doesn't even try. The resulting MIDI file is always timed at 120 bpm. So even if play do re me fa so la ti do in quarter notes at 75 bpm (using a metronome in my ear), I get, in this case, (120/75)*4 = 6.4 beats (quarter notes) per measure. Such a MIDI file is useless garbage when imported into Finale. To produce music notation, I need my timing detected and transcribed, not just the note pitches and durations. [2]
  • Logic Pro? In this YouTube video, I see that the author is using Logic Pro's FactoryAudio to Score function which appears to be what I would call Apple's implementation of Melodyne Lite. Logic Pro would be fun to have for other reasons, and so it might justify the 199 USD if this feature transcribed timing.

However, in this video I don't see any evidence of timing detection or adjustments; it looks like it just plops the generated MIDI beats on top of whatever timing currently exists in the Logic Pro document. Further evidence is that, later in the video, I see measures beginning with eighth notes, lots of triplets, etc. Am I correct? If so, this feature would again be useless for my purpose of producing notation.

Is it true that the only app which will really do what I want is Melodyne?

Thanks!

Jerry

[1] Another annoyance with WIDI is that it seems to arbitrarily create multiple tracks and put some notes in other tracks.

[2] It seems to me that, for software to detect my timing, I would need to tell it the time signature and approximate bpm of my piece, tell it about any pickup notes, and give it some quantization parameters. But this would be acceptable.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 4:16 PM

1 reply

Convert audio to midi - with timing detection!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.