Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a Kindle-friendly table of contents with pages

I'm trying to figure out how in Pages (I just recently bought it and want to use it instead of Word) to create a Kindle-friendly table of contents, so readers can click on a chapter title and go straight to that chapter, for the fiction I want to publish on Kindle. In Word I right click on Heading 1 while the chapter title is highlighted then click Update to Match Selection. Then I create a hyperlink to that chapter title to its corresponding title in the table of contents. This does not work in Pages. Do I need to use the hyperlink option in Inspector? If so I don't know how.

And does anyone know how I can create what Kindle calls "Guide Items", where Kindle users can go to from anywhere within the book?

I suppose I can write everything in Pages and then set up the table of contents and guide items in Word but it would be nice to be able to do it in Pages, thanks.

Lyle

Pages-OTHER

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 5:34 PM

6 replies

Mar 31, 2014 10:26 AM in response to fruhulda

Fruhida, there are no numbered pages on the Kindle. My problem is the TOC doesn't show up in the Kindle after I author in Pages and export to EPUB and upload to Amazon. Still haven't been able to find out exactly why this is happening because EPUB is supposed to be a standard for all devices.

FYI, Pages offers a "TEMPLATE" for best practices to write for EPUB. Again, my problem is the template may not work for the Kindle. Works fine for iBooks.

Addly however, although the TOC doesn't shup up on the Kindle or on the iPad, it works on Kindel for Mac (my Powerbook). Conumdrum for sure.

Mar 31, 2014 10:33 AM in response to venturexpo

As I understand it, you do not make the T.O.C. in Pages.

That is handled in the ePub, which pulls the T.O.C. itself from the appropriate Chapter Heads in the ePub template.

Peter

btw There is no such thing as an ePub standard. We are in the same Wild West days with ePubs as we had with the Web 10-20 years ago. It is somewhat a dark art as to what works or doesn't.

Apr 3, 2014 12:42 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Well there is a standard body for EPUB - http://idpf.org/epub

And, Apple furnishes the TEMPLATE - the Pages 09 TEMPLATE - automatically (supposedily) makes the TOC links which - then - you can export to EPUB.

Again, the problem I'm daling with is that the Kindle for the iPad, does not see the TOC. It des see it in the Kindle Softward for the Mac - which is different - for some reason. I have authored two books on Pages but Amazon converts my EPUB file to fit the Kindle device itself.

Apr 3, 2014 12:42 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Well there is a standard body for EPUB - http://idpf.org/epub

And, Apple furnishes the TEMPLATE - the Pages 09 TEMPLATE - automatically (supposedily) makes the TOC links which - then - you can export to EPUB.

Again, the problem I'm daling with is that the Kindle for the iPad, does not see the TOC. It des see it in the Kindle Softward for the Mac - which is different - for some reason. I have authored two books on Pages but Amazon converts my EPUB file to fit the Kindle device itself.

Creating a Kindle-friendly table of contents with pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.