Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in verification; no backups

My Time Capsule gets stuck at 72% verification. No backups have been completed since March 3.

Here's what the widget says:

Starting standard backup

Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://XXXXXXX%20XXXXXX@XXXTC.local/XXTCbackup

Mounted network destination using URL: afp://XXXXXXX%20XXXXXX@XXXTC.local/XXTCbackup

Running backup verification

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

CopyHFSMeta: Cannot read from device at offset 337629925376: Input/output error

CopyHFSMeta: CopyObjectsToDest failed: Input/output error

CopyHFSMeta failed with termination status: 5

Backup verification incomplete!

Failed to attach to image: /Volumes/XXTCbackup/XXXXXXX XXXXXX’s MacBook_001ff3d64754.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 107

Mount failed... waiting 60 seconds and trying again.

[SnapshotUtilities mountPointForVolumeRef] FSGetVolumeInfo returned: -35

Failed to eject volume (null) (FSVolumeRefNum: -103; status: -35; dissenting pid: -1)

Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://XXXXXXX%20XXXXXX@XXXTC.local/XXTCbackup

Mounted network destination using URL: afp://XXXXXXX%20XXXXXX@XXXTC.local/XXTCbackup

Failed to attach to image: /Volumes/XXTCbackup/XXXXXXX XXXXXX’s MacBook_001ff3d64754.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 107

Mount failed... waiting 60 seconds and trying again.

[SnapshotUtilities mountPointForVolumeRef] FSGetVolumeInfo returned: -35

Failed to eject volume (null) (FSVolumeRefNum: -105; status: -35; dissenting pid: -1)

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

Backup verification skipped during fsck

Error writing Time Machine Information file: /Volumes/XXTCbackup/XXXXXXX XXXXXX’s MacBook_001ff3d64754.sparsebundle/com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist

All advice welcome. Thank you.

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 7:08 PM

Run a verify of the local disk and the TC.

See A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I would do a reboot of the whole network.. restart in order from everything off.. modem.. TC.. clients. 2min gap between them.

If that doesn't work do a full factory reset of the TC and see if that gets it moving again.

Otherwise you might need to start over.

Did you upgrade install OS?

Are you using wireless? Try doing it with ethernet if you are.. turn wireless off.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2013 7:08 PM in response to sfrench

Run a verify of the local disk and the TC.

See A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I would do a reboot of the whole network.. restart in order from everything off.. modem.. TC.. clients. 2min gap between them.

If that doesn't work do a full factory reset of the TC and see if that gets it moving again.

Otherwise you might need to start over.

Did you upgrade install OS?

Are you using wireless? Try doing it with ethernet if you are.. turn wireless off.

Mar 17, 2013 3:42 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you, LaPastenague!

I'm in the midst of verifying the local disk and the TC. I'll be back in touch once that's done and I've tried all the other stuff.

I have not upgraded the OS. I'd really rather not deal with my old e-mail archive right now, and that's what's holding me up. I have Lion on hand, ready to go whenever I'm ready. My machine can't handle Mountain Lion. Do you think Snow Leopard is contributing to the problems with my TC?

I use ethernet almost all the time. I'm using it now.

Bye for now. Thanks again!

Mar 17, 2013 3:59 PM in response to sfrench

Nothing wrong with SL.. I am running it on the desktop I am typing this to you on..

But the firmware of the TC can be a pain.. 7.5.2 is much better if you are still on SL.. all later firmware are for Lion and later with no useful component from earlier OS.

But last year worth of Gen4 production cannot be downgraded.. they have to run 7.6

Early Gen 4 and all other models will be great on 7.5.2 and it is well worthwhile to use.

Hold down the option key when choosing firmware to upgrade and all the previous versions will show up.

Mar 18, 2013 5:44 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks very much, again.

I verified my internal HD and did a verify & repair of my TC. Each "appears to be OK." Whew!

The firmware on my TC is 7.6.3. The TC itself is 1st generation. (I suppose that might be the problem, right there … though I'm hoping the clear verifications signal that the TC is holding up quite well, thank you.)

I assume the firmware should be downgraded before I reboot the network or, if necessary, do a factory reset. But I thought I'd wait for you to weigh in on that point. And then, of course, there's the fact that I'm not sure how to downgrade anything, let alone the firmware. I did notice that there's a place in Airport Utility where it's possible to choose to stop upgrading the firmware, so once it's downgraded I see how to keep it that way. But as for bringing it down, I'm not so clear.

Many thanks.

Mar 18, 2013 7:27 PM in response to sfrench

I am supposed to do the firmware before the reboot or reset, right?

It isn't a biggie.

Gen1 has some stuff missing that all the later ones do.. in particular dual band wireless.

I guess the really proper way is reset.. downgrade firmware .. reset again.

But I wouldnt worry about which end you do the reset. After I guess .. if you want to press me on the point.

Factory reset is so easy to do.. why not do it both sides.. this is an exercise in getting perfect results.. cleaning out corrupt settings or firmware is a major part of that.

No reset will harm the contents of the drive.

But honestly.. again, I think I would archive off the old backup, erase and start over fresh clean backup. Do it by ethernet.. it doesn't take that long.

The old achive can be kept as a record .. but it might not really work well.

Gen1 is really living on borrowed time, unless you have replaced the power supply at least.

They do run very hot.. and especially the 1TB.. although the hitachi drive is very good.. it is about the hottest running drive in existence.

Mar 19, 2013 6:29 AM in response to LaPastenague

'Fraid I started doing stuff before seeing your latest message.

So, I downgraded the firmware first, before rebooting the network. After the reboot I started a backup. Again, the TC got stuck at 72% verification. I've just told it to skip verification; it then prepared several tens of thousands of items and has now started a backup. I'll see how far that goes.

In the meantime, I'm educating myself about the "factory" reset. I assume that's the same thing you had me do last time (i.e., A4 Full Reset of Time Machine @ <http://pondini.org/TM/A4.htmll>).

As for your suggestion that I "archive" the old backup, erase and start over with a new backup, I've looked around in Pondini but don't see a clear reference to archiving. Maybe it's there, and I'm just missing it. I'm starting to google. If you can offer any specifics about archiving, erasing and starting over, I'd be grateful. But I am looking.

Apple gave me a new TC in May 2010 after its predecessor turned up dead as a doornail. (I guess they chose to give me a 1st generation replacement instead of the 3rd generation current at the time because mine is 500GB, and the 2nd and 3rd generations came in 1TB and 2TB.) Anyway, my power supply isn't as old as it might have been (I got the original in May 2008). When I power down the TC during the reset, I'll have a look for any details about the hardware inside (i.e., Hitachi, etc.).

Thank you, again, LaPastenague.

Message was edited by: sfrench

Mar 19, 2013 5:09 PM in response to sfrench

sfrench wrote:

. . .
In the meantime, I'm educating myself about the "factory" reset. I assume that's the same thing you had me do last time (i.e., A4 Full Reset of Time Machine @ <http://pondini.org/TM/A4.htmll>).

No. The Factory Reset is of the Time Capsule. See Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ.

The one in #A4 resets the Time Machine setup info on your Mac.

As for your suggestion that I "archive" the old backup, erase and start over with a new backup, I've looked around in Pondini but don't see a clear reference to archiving. Maybe it's there, and I'm just missing it. I'm starting to google. If you can offer any specifics about archiving, erasing and starting over, I'd be grateful. But I am looking.

See the green box in #Q6 of Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule.

Mar 25, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Pondini

Thank you, Pondini!

I'm glad I asked about those two things, since clearly I was off the mark.

I succeeded in doing a factory reset (several of them, actually, because I didn't really know what I was doing).

And I tried to create an archive on a flash drive. But that didn't work.

I succeeded in partitioning the flash drive, creating a 550MB partition for my TC backup and a 450MB partition for PC files. I was able to get to step 6 on <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281>, but when I clicked "archive," the pull-down menu for the destination disk was grayed out and read "No AirPort disks available" … this even though my flash drive and its two partitions appeared in the left-hand pane of AirPort Utility's Disks panel. I have tried formatting the flash drive's TC-backup partition both as "Mac OX Extended (Journaled)" and as "Mac OX Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)". Neither shows up in the pull-down menu for the destination disk, even though each does appear in the pane on the AirPort Utility Disks panel.

So I don't know what the problem is. I also don't know whether there's any point in continuing to try to solve it. TM has been doing a bang-up job backing up onto my TC. It has not hung at 72% verification since that first post-reboot attempt.

My question, then, is should I continue to try to create an archive of the contents of my TC so that I can erase my TC and start fresh, as suggested above? Or should I opt for the old stand-by: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I have had major difficulties with my TC twice in the past two months. (The previous problem is at: <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4848175?answerId=21383620022#21383620022>.) And I suppose that might argue for erasing the TC and starting anew.

All insights welcome. Thank you.

Mar 25, 2013 8:21 AM in response to sfrench

sfrench wrote:

. . .

I succeeded in partitioning the flash drive, creating a 550MB partition for my TC backup

550 MB? To contain a copy of everything on your TC?

I was able to get to step 6 on <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281>, but when I clicked "archive," the pull-down menu for the destination disk was grayed out and read "No AirPort disks available" … this even though my flash drive and its two partitions appeared in the left-hand pane of AirPort Utility's Disks panel.

I don't know if it will accept a USB thumb drive as the destination (I've never tried it); but most likely, it's just too small. Note that one of the posts under Important is "Make sure there is enough free space on the AirPort (external) disk before archiving to the disk."

Or should I opt for the old stand-by: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I have had major difficulties with my TC twice in the past two months. (The previous problem is at: <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4848175?answerId=21383620022#21383620022>.) And I suppose that might argue for erasing the TC and starting anew.

Looks like a problems connecting, or losing the connection during the backup. I doubt erasing and starting over will help. Do backups work ok via Ethernet cable, but not via WIFI? WIFI will be slower, of course, but if you only have these failures via WIFI, you most likely have a bad connection or interference problems.

If you do want to archive it, you'll need a drive with at least as much free space as the data on the TC's HD.

Mar 25, 2013 9:43 AM in response to Pondini

Thank you again, Pondini.

You're absolutely right. I was following the directions carefully but not thinking straight. My TC is 500GB (not 500MB). My flash drive is 1GB (not 1TB). So that's the problem right there.

I usually work via Ethernet; the problems in March and February both occurred while connected via Ethernet. Do you think there's anything I can to do reduce the likelihood of a repeat?

Thank you for responding respectfully, even when I was making such a silly mistake.

Mar 25, 2013 10:04 AM in response to sfrench

sfrench wrote:

. .

I usually work via Ethernet; the problems in March and February both occurred while connected via Ethernet. Do you think there's anything I can to do reduce the likelihood of a repeat?

It doesn't seem to be a problem with damage on the backups (but never say never).

This is a 2010 model TC, right? They ought to last longer, but a number don't. And it seems more like a connection problem than any sort of disk or hardware failing. But again, you never know.

About all I can suggest is, try replacing your Ethernet cables. Plugs can wear, pins can bend slightly, wires inside can fray, without showing anything obvious, sometimes causing intermittent problems. Be sure all connections are snug and secure, of course.

Is there anything else on the network you can power-off or disconnect (I saw a thread where a malfunctioning printer was "flooding" the network with spurious messages, causing all sorts of odd problems. Very hard to diagnose!)

One advantage to archiving your backups and starting over is, when you erase the TC's HD, you can select a Zero-out, which may find a failing disk.

I always recommend keeping "secondary" backups, but especially when there's the slightest question about your main backups. If you're not doing that now, you might consider getting an external HD, doing a TM backup to it, then erasing your TC and starting fresh (I don't think archiving is worth it, but do that instead if you prefer.)

Once you've got them going (hopefully), erase the external HD and start doing periodic backups with a different app. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #27 for details and some suggestions.

Thank you for responding respectfully, even when I was making such a silly mistake.

Hey, welcome to the club -- me, I'm a charter member! 😉

Message was edited by: Pondini

Mar 25, 2013 11:28 AM in response to Pondini

Thank you so much, Pondini! This is very helpful.

Apple replaced my previous TC in May 2010, but I don't really know how old that replacement is [it's of a generation (first) and capacity (500GB) that I think they'd stopped manufacturing by the time they gave it to me].

I'll get a new Ethernet cable as soon as possible, and put an external drive on my wish list for when my budget allows. My printer is connected directly to my MacBook via USB, so I don't think that's an issue.

I do have an old PowerBook around, maybe I could use that in lieu of a new external drive. Hmm.

Thank you again for your patience — LaPastenague, too!

Message was edited by: sfrench

Mar 25, 2013 11:59 AM in response to sfrench

sfrench wrote:

. . .

Apple replaced my previous TC in May 2010, but I don't really know how old that replacement is [it's of a generation (first) and capacity (500GB) that I think they'd stopped manufacturing by the time they gave it to me].

Ah, that's a (probably refurbished) either the original 2008 or early 2009 model. If you have the model number, on the bottom, look it up in the chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Capsule_(Apple). If they replaced the HD, it ought to have some life left, although a fair number of drives do fail in the 2-3 year range. But it's of an age where it could fail at any time.

I do have an old PowerBook around, maybe I could use that in lieu of a new external drive. Hmm.

That may be doable, but only as a last resort. If there's enough room, and you can connect the Macs via FireWire cable, you could make a separate partition on it's internal HD, then start it up in Target Disk mode. That makes it look like an external HD to your Mac, so you could back up to that partition (with Time Machine or another app).

But you can get good HDs for not too much money these days; for example, 500 GBs for just over $100 (big enough to a clone a 500 GB internal, probably not large enough for TM), 1 TB for $125. OWC Sales has a very good reputation for both hardware and service; like a number of other folks here, I have one of their Mercury Elite Pro models and it's great.

Stuck in verification; no backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.