Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display size of PDF created by Pages in Browsers

Hi,

I have created a document using pages and exported it as PDF.

Looking at it in Pages (scale 100%) is fine. It prints DIN A4 perfectly.

I put it on my Web-Server and put a link to it . Except for Firefox, no matter what other browser I try it comes up huge. I know, one can change the display scale in most browsers, (can't find it in IE8) but it is a nuisance. Other peoples PDF's don't seem to do this. Has it to do with it being created by Pages or does anyone know any other reason/solution?

Thanks

-Paul-

Pages iMac-OTHER

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 5:14 AM

7 replies

Mar 17, 2013 7:50 AM in response to PaulWhite

Paul,

I expect that Peter is correct because he has lots of experience with Acrobat, but I'm curious about your changing paper size in Preview. I didn't suggest that you change it, just that you set it properly in Preview's Print dialog, in case it somehow had defaulted to something else.

I wasn't aware of the display size flag that both you and Peter seem to be familiar with, so disregard my suggestion.🙂

Regards,

Jerry

Mar 17, 2013 8:03 AM in response to PaulWhite

Pages PDF generation is not the problem.

With the same Acrobat Reader 11.0.02 installed on Windows 7 and OS X 10.8.3, the page display resolution reported by Reader on OS X is 81 ppi, and on Windows, as 96 ppi. Simply put, the same PDF, at the same enlargement setting, would image smaller on OS X than when viewed on Windows 7.

You can test this easily. On the Mac, open a PDF in Reader. Open the Reader preferences and visit Page display > Resolution. Key in 96 ppi and press ok. The PDF image enlarges.

Browsers that still use the Acrobat PDF plugin, or use Reader as a helper application, allow the user to change the viewed PDF enlargement setting, but not the display resolution used. Browsers that offer built-in PDF viewing support (Chrome, Firefox 19) do not. I changed the Reader page display resolution preference, and the Acrobat PDF plug-in did not change viewed PDF size. Even on a refresh of the PDF. It may be hard-wired to use the system default or a calculated default -- perhaps as do the Chrome and current Firefox PDF solutions.

Display size of PDF created by Pages in Browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.