Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages still not sorted after 10.8.3 upgrade on my MBP

iMessage is still not sorting messages in the right sequence (time stamp). Messages written on my iPhone or iPad do not appear in the right sequence in the messages app on my MBP. Seems that this problem is hard to solve.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 4:40 AM

15 replies

Mar 17, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Mark Lombard

HI,

Is this still the issue with real time new messages being mixed with sync messages that are trying to catch up ?

Is a restart (once the sync has finished) of the Messages App sorting the iMessages ?

User uploaded file
8:59 PM Sunday; March 17, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 18, 2013 1:02 PM in response to Mark Lombard

Hi,

So this has been an OS X 10.8.2 update to OS X 10.8.3

Can you confirm that the Messages App is at version 7.0.1 ? (I am seeing not change in the app version number at this point.)

Could you try Signing out of the Apple ID and then Signing back in again (creating a new "Start Point" with the server if you like).

User uploaded file
8:02 PM Monday; March 18, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 19, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Mark Lombard

Hi,

It is strange.

The App remains unchanged from OS X 10.8.2 however the Apple Info sheet says there si a fix fro this in the OS X 10.8.3 update

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5612

A partial Quote

About the update

This update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including:

• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
  • Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
  • Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3 TB hard drive
  • A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
  • A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
  • A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
  • A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause cards to print out of order
  • A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting
  • A fix for an issue in Messages that may cause messages to appear out of order after waking from sleep
  • A fix for an issue that may cause the screen to display incorrectly after waking from sleep

Now this line does refer to Sleep rather than at any other time but it also means that the control for this is outside of Messages itself.

I would have though that the time stamping of the iMessages would have been enough for Messages to Sort them.

I can see that Sleep may interfere with the internal clock and how it counts the passing of time.

The other issue is that this never happens with the AIM Chats or Jabber Chats.

I would check the System Preferences > Date and Time and the Time Zone and also that of any router that should be set to the same.

Some places already have Daylight Saving summer settings in place and you may need to check the router is as well.

User uploaded file
7:51 PM Tuesday; March 19, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2013 6:32 AM in response to Mark Lombard

I have this same problem. I'm assuming it's because Messages isn't being updated by either the App store or combo updaters (I've tried both). My copy of Messages is version 7.0.1, but the copyright dates are 2002-2012. I don't know what version of Messages I ran under 10.8.2. Can anyone who is running 10.8.3 and not experiencing this problem let us know the version number of your Messages application?

Mar 21, 2013 1:02 PM in response to Mark Lombard

HI,

It should stay in Time if you use the Automatic Time Server option.

This does use the Time Zone setting though to "place" you.

All the major IM services are based on time stamped messages so I am not sure if there is a way around this.

User uploaded file
8:02 PM Thursday; March 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2013 1:15 PM in response to jdskee

HI,

The Messages version has not changed. (I have Version 7.0.1 as well.)

The Apple Doc seems to imply something about Waking from Sleep has been "fixed" but without a change to Messages I don't see how - other than it might effect the way the Network is re-established before the Apps start up again.

There is no "fix" at present for iMessages out of order at any other time. (non Sleep related)

User uploaded file
8:15 PM Thursday; March 21, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 20, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I was finally able to talk to support staff at Apple. The case was escalted immediately. I was asked to send files of my MBP to Apple for further analysis by the technicians. I was excited when she told me that she would get back to me within a couple of days. Even got a phone number to call in for an update on the situation.

Sadly, I never got contacted, messages on the answering machine were not answered and finally I checked the status of my ticket: It had been closed without any answer and/or solution to my problem...

Still having mixed up messages in iMessage.

May 20, 2013 8:24 AM in response to Mark Lombard

Yes, I am still experiencing out-of-order messages in almost every conversation in the Messages app for Mac. The bottom line is that it does not work, and 10.8.3 did not fix the problem. I have to say that this reinforces the notion that Apple is incompetent when it comes to web services - they tried to fix what looked like a simple issue and failed. I'm now resting my hopes on 10.9 to offer a fix for this long-standing issue and make iCloud services as a whole more reliable.

May 20, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Mark Lombard

Hi,

As I have used Messages more and more since the Thread was started it is becoming clear that I too am suffering with similar issues.

I tend to keep my Mac Off when I am not using it.

I tend to be here, for about 3 hours of an evening.

If I have been iMessaging my wife from my iPhone during that time it rarely syncs when I turn the computer back on and start up Messages.

I have recently been testing to help some I knew through using AIM originally.

I can send from my Mac version and his iPhone sees it.

He can send from his iPhone and I see those iMessages on my iPhone and my Mac - except for those he send when the Mac is Off.

He cannot send ( at least not continuously) from his Mac to anyone.

While his error seems to point to the iMessages server not keeping the link between his iPhone Number and Apple ID it does highlight the on-going issues with the Mac's Messages app's integration with the iMessages service.

I would still recommend using http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html to provide Apple with the feedback they obviously need.

I tend to still use this page as Messages is iChat+ and continues the Numbering sequence that was being used.

The page lacks the Variations for iChat 6 or Messages (version 7 and 7.0.1) so you will need to eneter the detail in the Free text area.

User uploaded file
8:52 PM Monday; May 20, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 5, 2013 4:48 AM in response to Mark Lombard

It seems that the Messages App uses the timestamp from when the message was registered in the App and not the timestamp for when the message was actually sent.

The timestamps showed for each message in the App are correct (except for the "read" timestamp, which is again the timestamp for when the App registered, that the messages was read, and not the timestamp for when it was actually read).

Messages still not sorted after 10.8.3 upgrade on my MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.