Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans not working on new MBP

My 13" MBP is 3 months old and I use it rarely for weekend trips.

Today it white screened & crashed twice. Temperature gauge said it was running avg 95 centigrade and showed RPM at 2600 which I assume is fan speed. But I couldn't hear them.

Then launched SMC Fan app and it showed similar temp but fan RPM at 00.00

Adjusting the fan speed did nothing.

Doing a SMC fan reset did nothing.

I'm running off an external Lion drive. The MBP came with ML on its internal drive.

I want to test how it runs booted off the internal drive when I get home from dinner.

But any thoughts?

Thanks

Steven

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 1:21 PM

8 replies

Mar 18, 2013 11:24 AM in response to aidamikai

I just tested by starting off my internal MBP Mt. Lion drive and the fans work fine.

So I would assume there is something about running this MBP off a mirror drive of my Mac Pro Lion drive that is not fully compatible as a boot drive for my MBP.

I have done this for years with various Apple laptops so after booting off my mirror Mac Pro external backup drive, I could work in the same environment as if I was on my Mac Pro at home when I'm on the road.

I wonder why this now a problem.

I'm updating my MP to Mt. Lion and will then backup to the external drive and try again and see if it's a lion vs mt. Lion thing or MP vs a MBP thing. Or both.

Thanks

Steven

Mar 20, 2013 5:56 AM in response to Lexiepex

That certainly sounds logical to me.

I guess previous laptops and/or OS's were different because going all the way back to my black Wallstreet/Pismo days, I always ran my Mac laptops off my external mirror backup Mac Tower portable drives (G3, MacPro1 then MacPro5) to create my Tower environment whether on my Tower or laptop, but I'd have a transfer folder for all new or amended docs.

Then I'd plug in the portable drive into my tower and drag the Transfer folder over and file and then drag over new sent and received email.

Not the most elegant system, but it worked and kept me constant.

So my new MBP doesn't seem to like or is less forgiving of the current MP OS software as you say and the fans don't spin.

I guess then, unless u or others have a better plan, I need to build my MBP drive to be as much like my MP as possible and boot off the MBP with my MP BU plugged in for file access, create the same transfer folder and include my sent and inbox mail from now on, or BCC myself my sent mail and keep inbox mail on the server unless deleted so my MP gets copies via the mail server.

UNLESS someone has a more elegant was to have your laptop a version of your main tower computer when traveling?

Thanks,

Steven

Mar 20, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Lexiepex

Unless I'm missing your point, if I'm on the road, I can't have my Mac Pro with me to plug into my MBP. If I could, I wouldn't need my MBP.

I don't think you get the scenario, no offense.

I work all day on my MP.

I have plans to be out of town for the next week.

I use SuperDuper! to create a mirror BU of my MP to my Seagate ext drive. Then shut down my MP.

Now my MP and my ext. Seagate drive are identical.

I leave for my trip and on arrival, I plug my Seagate into my MBP and launch with the Option key down and boot off the Seagate drive and thus at this point I'm "as if" on my MP in NY. However, for some reason, doing this blocks the MBP fans from running so I can only run off my Seagate drive for 15ish minutes before my MBP heats up too much and much shut down.

I can reboot off my MBP internal drive and with my MP mirror drive accessible. I can therethore access all my documents EXCEPT my AppleMail since I am not booting up off my Ext Seagate drive with the latest AppleMail inbox and other data.

All my mail BTW is POP and not IMAP. If IMAP then this would be much easier. But I've been using POP for so many years and have umteen saved folders of mail on the left column on my hard drive as opposed on my server.

I would like to update from POP to IMAP but this is a big job moving all my drive saved mail up to a server. But if I could do it, then I could reach this mail from my MBP, MP, iPad or iPhone.

Mail is the one hang up in the system I have currently. As I can also use DropBox to work with current documents I need to edit and work with.

Do you nsee the situation better now?

Best

Steven

Mar 20, 2013 10:53 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

My 13" MBP is 3 months old

I have plans to be out of town for the next week.

You have 90 days of free phone tech support from Apple. Let them deal w/it. Strongly suggest that you take full advantage of it before you lose it. Unless you also purchased AppleCare which I strongly suggest that you do if you have not already done so.

User uploaded file

Fans not working on new MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.