Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lacie Thunderbolt RAID failed to Mount but can be accessed by Disk Utility

Hi,

I was doing some work today and my external RAID reached the FULL POINT. After that it no longer showed up on my desktop and in the Finder it's name was GREY and I could not access it via the finder.

I rebooted and it was still not present. The Lacie RAID monitor Ap still shows that both drives are green.

From the disk utility I could see the drive and view it with the finder. I can access the files, write to it, etc, but cannot get it to show up in the finder list nor on the desktop. I ran disk repair and disk verify and did not get any errors.

If I go to the Terminal and run diskutil list it shows on the list but only see this information:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 250.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 2 2.0 TB disk1s2

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk3

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_RAID 3.0 TB disk3s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk3s3

/dev/disk4

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk4

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1

2: Apple_RAID 3.0 TB disk4s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk4s3

/dev/disk5

0: Apple_HFS LaCie Mirror Raid *3.0 TB disk5

It's very strange. It shows as listed in /dev/disk4 and /dev/disk5. I have not done this list before so I don't know what should be listed when it was normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

OS X Version 10.8.2

IMAC 27 i7 etc.

No other apps running in the background

Thunderbolt adapter is working fine as I can access, mount, read/write to another thunderbolt drive.

I have had the LACIE RAID for about a year, it has been fine, no strange noises,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 2:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Aronis

I'll add more.

I was able to access my home Mac from my office Mac today. The list of drives includes the LaCie RAID and I can access all the files remotely.

This is just strange.

I shut down the Mac Mini which had been connected at home via my home network to that same Mac and rebooted the 27 iMac with the RAID and still the RAID will not mount and show on the desktop. I was transferring a file from the Mac Mini to the LaCie RAID when I got the error "Disk Full" and at the same time the 27 iMac was writing a file to it too (not the exact moment but some time in the past hour as I was ripping a DVD on the iMac and writing to the RAID as the output destination).

I suspect when the Disk got FULL something screwed up. The disk utility was run 4 or 5 times to verify the disk both as a RAID and as individual "Slices" and NO error was found. I moved about 1/2 of the files off the RAID and am ready to move the rest and reformat it to start from scratch. The larger files are my TimeCapsule back up and my Aperture Vault. Those are hard to move, very large files LOL.

Waiting on some input. Thank you,

Mike

Mar 19, 2013 3:18 PM in response to Aronis

I could not find any procedure for "restarting" the drive.

I found a video of someone trying to reset the network model but not the thunderbolt version.

I'm going to remove everything and reformat it. I'd rather have some well defined "crash" then this kinda-sorta not working status! Will it remain reliable for backup?? Oh well that's why I have burned DVDs, a goflex home 3tb drive, a 2 tb time capsule, etc. LOL.

I had a RAID controller die on a 12 year old ASUS MB but only lost the stripping drive partition. Mirrored data was still accessible.

On the Mac I'm kind of stuck if the LaCie raid box dies but the two drives are fine as I will not have a method of connecting the drive to the iMac. On the windows machine the sata interface still worked but the raid part failed.

Mike

Lacie Thunderbolt RAID failed to Mount but can be accessed by Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.