Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your payment authorization has failed"

Hi all,

I'm new to Apple and am trying to set up my Apple ID account properly, but I keep hitting a bump in the road.

Every time I've tried to input my card details (it's a Visa Debit card from ANZ/National Bank) it says: "Your payment authorization failed. Please verify your information and try again, or try another payment method."

I've checked, double checked and triple checked my account information, it is all exactly the same as on my card and I have sufficient funds on my account.

Gosh, all I want to do is download some exciting apps that everyone talks about, I only just got an iPhone!

Please someone help 😟

iPhone 3G, For Apple ID

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 4:20 PM

That error means that your card issuer rejected an authorization request. You need to resolve it with them. Note that for a card to be accepted ALL of these must be true:

• The name on the card must match exactly the name in iTunes for the card description
  • The card number must match
  • The expiration date must match
  • The CCV code must match
  • The address must match the card's billing address exactly
  • The card must be issued by a bank in the same country as the iTunes store you wish to access
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2013 4:20 PM in response to KittyorGtfo

That error means that your card issuer rejected an authorization request. You need to resolve it with them. Note that for a card to be accepted ALL of these must be true:

• The name on the card must match exactly the name in iTunes for the card description
  • The card number must match
  • The expiration date must match
  • The CCV code must match
  • The address must match the card's billing address exactly
  • The card must be issued by a bank in the same country as the iTunes store you wish to access

Mar 17, 2013 4:46 PM in response to KittyorGtfo

Just got off the phone with ANZ - they don't have a clue.

They checked that the card was all valid and all the details etc. etc. etc, and even had a senior supervisor on the case.

I mean heck, all I wanted to do was download a free app! Is there a way I can do this using direct debit maybe? Only when I went to download the app on my iPhone it comes up with a message saying "You have not used your ID in our apple store before" and re-directs to a "create Apple ID page".

This is so frustrating.

Mar 17, 2013 4:55 PM in response to GrumpyGator

Well, the problem is sorted!

I have no idea how, or why, and this whole process has completely done my head in.

When on the phone to ANZ they ask for a 'previous' address in their security questions. Completely taking a chance I changed the address information on the card details to this previous address and viola. Rung the guy at ANZ back, he's baffled as the address I was putting in before is the primary address!

Either way it's working now. Thank you so much for all of your help, Gator and Lawrence. 🙂

Mar 20, 2013 11:42 PM in response to KittyorGtfo

i've got exactly the same problem. i can shop without trouble in itunes but not in iphoto (buying photo books) - here i get the same message "Your payment authorization failed. Please verify your information and try again, or try another payment method." i've tried with 4 different cards that all works without problem anywhere else?? please help 🙂

"Your payment authorization has failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.