Skip navigation

Macbook Pro startup screen distorted

3082 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2014 9:48 AM by apple4andy RSS
DJChase8 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 17, 2013 5:12 PM

I have a 2 Ghz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM, Early 2011 - 15" Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8.3.  When I start it up, the startup splash screen doesn't fill the entire screen.  After a few seconds, the screen shows distorted colors and shapes, and then resizes and boots up normally.  Is this a known problem? Can this be fixed?

IMG_4100.JPG

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
  • dominic23 Level 6 Level 6 (18,385 points)
    Mar 18, 2013 2:41 AM (in response to DJChase8)
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Mar 18, 2013 4:00 AM (in response to DJChase8)

If the PRAM reset doesn't fix it, it sounds like a bad 10.8 update or a hardware issue.

Try to see if you can do a #8 here

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

Make sure to reboot twice so EFI takes hold as that loads first before OS X .

You can install OS X on a external drive and boot from it, see if it's not a hardware problem.

.Create a data recovery/undelete external boot drive

• jsmnkcmo Calculating status...
    Apr 14, 2013 8:29 AM (in response to DJChase8)

Hey Apple Community :)

I have an iMac (mid-2011, i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD...) that is getting the same "grey splotches" during initial boot.  At first I thought it was the hardware, but at one point I had the HDD partitioned (10.6 and 10.8) and thought it could have been the culprit...  Here is why:

When booting to 10.6...no issues.

When booting to 10.8...distortion.

I have removed the partition, reinstalled 10.6 and completed the upgrade steps via the App Store to get back to 10.8 (thinking a fresh reinstall might fix the issue)...same problem occurs when booting into 10.8.

Short of contacting Apple Care, does anyone have any suggestions other than what is listed in this thread?

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Best Regards,

~

Joshua

• thisismy1st Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 16, 2013 6:13 PM (in response to DJChase8)

I just bought a used 2011 17" Macbook Pro and and having similar annomolys on the start up screen.  They only appear after putting in the password when the screen goes white before the desktop appears.  Has anyone figred out what is causing this and if it is a serious problem or not ?  Resetng the PRAM did not fix the problem.

• Leeroy21 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 9, 2014 3:44 PM (in response to DJChase8)

I have had the same issue. although when i plugged into external monitor it worked for a while. after that nothing would work.

im runngin late 2011 15" MBP originally lion, went straight to mavericks. never had 1 single issue with it since i got it until i upgraded to mavericks.

• apple4andy Calculating status...
    Mar 22, 2014 9:48 AM (in response to DJChase8)

I have just begun getting this issue too. I removed a file I downloaded and it stopped. I later reset my PRAM due to another issue regarding my hidden dock and now the issue with the distorted startup screen has returned but much worse than before.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.