Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro startup screen distorted

I have a 2 Ghz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM, Early 2011 - 15" Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8.3. When I start it up, the startup splash screen doesn't fill the entire screen. After a few seconds, the screen shows distorted colors and shapes, and then resizes and boots up normally. Is this a known problem? Can this be fixed?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 2:41 AM

Reset PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4405

6 replies

Mar 18, 2013 4:00 AM in response to DJChase8

If the PRAM reset doesn't fix it, it sounds like a bad 10.8 update or a hardware issue.

Try to see if you can do a #8 here

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

Make sure to reboot twice so EFI takes hold as that loads first before OS X .

You can install OS X on a external drive and boot from it, see if it's not a hardware problem.

.Create a data recovery/undelete external boot drive

Apr 14, 2013 8:29 AM in response to DJChase8

Hey Apple Community :)

I have an iMac (mid-2011, i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD...) that is getting the same "grey splotches" during initial boot. At first I thought it was the hardware, but at one point I had the HDD partitioned (10.6 and 10.8) and thought it could have been the culprit... Here is why:

When booting to 10.6...no issues.

When booting to 10.8...distortion.

I have removed the partition, reinstalled 10.6 and completed the upgrade steps via the App Store to get back to 10.8 (thinking a fresh reinstall might fix the issue)...same problem occurs when booting into 10.8.

Short of contacting Apple Care, does anyone have any suggestions other than what is listed in this thread?

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Best Regards,

~

Joshua

Macbook Pro startup screen distorted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.