Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stereo record an iPad Garageband mixing performance into Mac Garageband?

Does anyone know how/if I can record into Mac Garageband from iPad Garageband live (in real time) so that I can manipulate loops (changing levels, reverb, etc.) into a stereo mix on two tracks?

Basically, I have 8 bars on my iPad and I want to live record and "play" that sketch into 3 minutes of bars on a stereo recording in Garageband on the Mac.

If not possible, is there some equipment to get me there?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2, iMac27

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 5:58 PM

12 replies

Mar 18, 2013 5:45 AM in response to RobinRumpus

RobinRumpus wrote:

if I can record into Mac Garageband from iPad Garageband live (in real time) so that I can manipulate loops (changing levels, reverb, etc.) into a stereo mix on two tracks?

i'm afraid you can't, GB does not record those types of changes, they must be made in post through effect automation

RobinRumpus wrote:

is there some equipment to get me there?

you would need outboard effects for each type of thing you wish to do.

iow, to record changes in level you'd need some type of mixing console between the iPad and Mac, if it had built-in reverb, or you added a reverb unit to its effect bus you could also change reverb (flanger, chorus, etc...)

Mar 18, 2013 9:30 AM in response to HangTime

I was wondering if Logic could do that. However, now I'm thinking that something like http://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb might be easier. I usually leave Logic to the BigGirl Studio.

If I were to use Logic, could I connect the iPad simply via the USB?

Feel like an idiot, but have a hard time wrapping my brain around the engineer aspects of all this.

Mar 18, 2013 9:36 AM in response to RobinRumpus

RobinRumpus wrote:

I'm thinking that something like http://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb might be easier.

that would allow you to live mix the levels and pan of whatever you connect to it (e.g iPad)

RobinRumpus wrote:

If I were to use Logic, could I connect the iPad simply via the USB?

no.

the most simple method would be to plug the headphone jack of the iPad into the line-IN on your Mac, or an audio interface if your Mac lacks a line-IN

Mar 18, 2013 9:47 AM in response to HangTime

This can't be as simple as plugging into the headphone jack of my late 2012 iMac, can it? And still get two tracks for stereo in Logic?

Argh! I was considering going 1/4" to RCA on my stereo and recording onto a cassette tape last night, just to make it happen. But then what? Play the cassette back into the iPad's mic? Welcome to my new seminar: "Recording for 6-year-olds in 1986."

Mar 18, 2013 9:54 AM in response to RobinRumpus

RobinRumpus wrote:

This can't be as simple as plugging into the headphone jack of my late 2012 iMac, can it?

only if the headphone jack doubles as the line-IN as well. i think the newer iMacs only support the longer plug that the Apple earbuds/mic use

to answer the general question, in my case for instance: yes, i could plug my iPad into the line-IN on my Mac Pro and record 2 channels in GB or Logic (but i couldn't live-mix using GB)

Mar 18, 2013 2:32 PM in response to HangTime

The headphone jack can serve as line-in on the newest iMac. Thanks to your tip, I figured out that there is a problem with my headphone jack and I need to bring the whole machine back into Apple. After that's resolved, I will look into making an $80 Alesis investment and do some playing around with straight line-in to GB. If that ends up working out, I may then take the leap to Logic. But in the meantime, thank you very much for the help. In particular, you helped me be more articulate about what I was trying to do when I talked to the Apple Care people.

As for the other question from mdee, the idea is to use the iPad also as a doodle surface--easier to play in some quick strings or quick keys than to get an actual MIDI instrument. I'm looking to keep it simple or at least cheap. If I make up some really good music, then maybe I will invest in real studio time or better home equipment. Until then...

Again, thank you for the help!

Dec 13, 2013 9:17 AM in response to sunil2002

I solved this problem with the Griffin iMic USB and plug the 1/8" jack audio out of iPad into the iMic so that I can record playing an instrument, such as the guitar app, directly into my iMac. I guess I would have better sound out if I went from the 30-pin into a USB audio-in on my computer, but this set up works for the sketches I am making. Also loving the Line6 Mobile Keys with both the iPad and Mac.

How do I stereo record an iPad Garageband mixing performance into Mac Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.