Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store updates freeze

While trying to update apps, the App Store froze, with updates saying "INSTALLING". I can't use any of these apps, nor can I get out of that locked situation. I'm traveling, so cannot reconnect to my home computer. Can anyone help? (I've tried the 15-second restart solution suggested in some posts online.)

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:40 PM

8 replies

Mar 17, 2013 6:53 PM in response to crabtownc

See if this at least gets you out of that frozen App Store screen. Close the App Store and then reboot your iPad.

Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the recents tray will appear with all of your recent apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on the app store icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app store icon to close it. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

You must wait until the Apple logo appears on the screen before you let go of the buttons.

Mar 17, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Demo

Thanks, Demo, but I've tried this... twice (once last night, once again, after reading your reply). Didn't work either time. Nor has resetting my internet reset button in Settings. Any other suggestions? (I'm a tech novice, but I do follow instructions well, and usually find my way around problems. This is really frustrating me, as I counted on using my iPad during my trip, and I'm stuck!)

Mar 18, 2013 2:34 AM in response to Demo

When I close all apps in the recents tray, I cannot access any of the apps (16) that are listed as installing (but frozen) in the updates page of the App Store. They show as greyed out and will not open.

UPDATE with SOLUTION THAT WORKED:

I went into a store here in Singapore that sells Apple products and asked them. The nice young man there told me to delete all frozen apps and reinstall them. It works-- it reappears as usable.

Meantime: I seem to have unblocked something when I deleted several apps to reinstall, as the list unfroze...and then shortened to gone as I've typed... and when I clicked on the other greyed-out apps on my desktop, they showed as first loading, then installing--complete with blue install-progress line. When done, they work. Just now have to re-download all my books from my kindle app that went back into the cloud.

Good luck to any others frustrated by this problem. I intend to not do updates again until I read that Apple has fixed this glitch. Updates are not worth all the hassle and time expended that this has caused!

Mar 18, 2013 3:58 AM in response to crabtownc

I'm glad that you're up and running and got it all sorted out. You might want to consider updating one app at a time. In two and half years of iPad use I have had only one app stall on me when downloading. I never use Update All. I assume that one download is not supposed to start until the first one has finished, but I see way too many users report the same thing that you experienced.

BTW .. I wasn't asking about accessing the stalled apps, I was just trying to determine if you could use the iPad at all after closing the App Store. Dealing with the stalled updates would have been the next step.

Jun 11, 2013 9:07 AM in response to crabtownc

Thanks for all this great information. I had this same problem on my wife's iPad 2. After trying a reset by holding the home + top buttons, I was getting ready to delete the offending apps per the advice here when I just touched an app icon and it started to load. You have to touch each frozen app individually on their respective pages or in their folders.

Just thought you may want to try that first.

App Store updates freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.