Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Tried to cancel a file move and I think Im in trouble now...

I tried to move (NOT copyt) a file from my mac to an external drive.

The file was my iphoto file under my username. It is ENORMOUS; 350GB or so.

The screen said it would take 14 hours to move. Having some other things to get done, after a minute or so I cancelled the move.

The file now shows up as the same size within both my imac harddrive AND external hard drive.

Thing is -- there are greyed out fileds on each.

What does this mean? Am I in trouble?

This all started because I wanted to roll back my iphoto files to last night. I tried to restore the file but timemachine said I do not have enough room on my computer to restore. So I figured I would move the current one to a different backup drive, restore last nights version from my time machine backup to my PC, and if all worked well just delete the version from my external.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iphoto 11

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:30 PM

1 reply

Mar 17, 2013 10:23 PM in response to ethanchicago

Select the text on the line below by dragging across it. Don't include the blank space at the end of the line. Only the text should be highlighted.

ls -@Odeln

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V), then press the space bar.

Now switch to the Finder and and select one of the grayed-out files on the internal drive. Drag it into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Help! Tried to cancel a file move and I think Im in trouble now...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.