Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro PCIe Surround Sound card?

As the title stated, I'm looking for a PCIe sound card that will deliver 5.1/7.1/etc surround sound via auxilary (analog), NOT Toslink or digital coaxial, and will work natively in OSX.

I want this for use in Mac games, so I can hear in surround sound. I know such a thing exists for PowerMacs with PCI ports, such as the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 PCI sound card, but obviously I cannot use that as it is not PCIe...

Does such a thing exist? I tried googling it, and only came up with ones that provide surround sound via optical. Preferabbly would like something thats actually a PCIe card, NOT external, but if I have to then thats okay. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Mac Pro, Other OS, 2x 2.26GHz, 10GB DDR3, Win8/10.8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:08 AM

Short Answer: nope. not unless you want to spend a ton of money. You can mess around with something called the 'hd audio rush' which is supposed to convert digital to analog 5.1, but that's the best I have. there might be something from China*, but as far as I know, they are all external boxes. Apart from buying speakers with an optical input, those are your options.

John B

* I think it's luna shops, but I don't know--I don't work for them and know nothing more about them

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2013 10:08 AM in response to bubbamj

Short Answer: nope. not unless you want to spend a ton of money. You can mess around with something called the 'hd audio rush' which is supposed to convert digital to analog 5.1, but that's the best I have. there might be something from China*, but as far as I know, they are all external boxes. Apart from buying speakers with an optical input, those are your options.

John B

* I think it's luna shops, but I don't know--I don't work for them and know nothing more about them

Mar 18, 2013 3:13 PM in response to Johnb-one

So I guess the best I can do is simply buy a PCIe Sound card ment for Windows, and just use that when I dual boot... That stinks... 😟

I already have a reciever that has toslink on it, but you cannot use it for surround sound in anything other than movies (see my next line)

Plus, digital to analog 5.1 is useless anyway. Computer games never use surround sound via toslink or digital coaxial, only hdmi and analog connections. Only console games use those for surround sound. >_< Thanks though.

Mar 19, 2013 8:44 AM in response to bubbamj

yeah, it does stink, but that's life on the mac side of things.

as for your second point, computer games ought to give you some sound output via toslink/digital coax. Heck, that's how I have my sound setup. Toslink to speaker box, then to speakers. You may or may not get surround sound. I have found a little more info for you. Check out ESI audio for a few options. I don't work for 'em, I haven't bought anything from 'em, but it's something. esi-audio.com. I think you can get a box that does USB to surround output

I got nothing otherwise

John B

Mac Pro PCIe Surround Sound card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.