Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant send Individual messages to multiple contacts?

I have my group messaging turned off but my iphone still creates group messages when i select more than one contact to send a message to? is there any reason why this is? and do you know how to stop it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:10 PM

11 replies

Mar 17, 2013 8:17 PM in response to gail from maine

thanks for the response,

but no when i select multiple people to send a message to, it sends as a "group message" where everybody gets everybodys responses. I want to be able to send a message to a large audience and only get the replys myself. I have tried turning on and off the "group messaging" slider under messages but it doesnt seem to do anything.

NS

Mar 17, 2013 8:33 PM in response to LOUISSMITH_20

Well, maybe I'm just not understanding about how "group messaging" works. I thought that who all got a reply was dependent on how the person replying to the message did the reply (i.e., reply vs. reply to all)? Am I missing something here? (sorry if I'm just being ignorant....but just never had any experience where a message with individuals listed resulted in all of those individuals getting a reply unless "reply to all" was used....)

GB

Mar 17, 2013 8:59 PM in response to LOUISSMITH_20

OK, my apologies!!! I clearly did NOT understand that you were talking about Messaging (even though your had that word pretty predominately in your question.....)....my head was reading MAIL!!!! So, MY BAD!!!

The only thing I can see in the other posts that I have read with this issue is that not only does "Group Messaging" need to be turned off, but also MMS Messaging needs to be turned off.

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about how all of this dovetails together, so I think your best bet at this point, would just be to try the turning off of the MMS Messaging to see if it remedies the situation without taking away any features,

Again, sorry for the long way around to this - was just off on another planet, apparently....

Cheers,

GB

Cant send Individual messages to multiple contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.