Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just downloaded new iMovie 9.0.8 and it quits unexpectedly

Starts to open, shuts down every time. Just downloaded the newest iMovie and I have the correct version of Lion. Very frustrating.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:36 PM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2013 1:38 AM in response to NHVta

You could try deleting iMovie's preference file -

Ensure that iMovie is closed.

In Finder, go to the folder <your user name>/Library/Preferences (where <your user name> is your Home folder). For users on Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), the Home Library folder is hidden. To access it, in the Finder menu bar click on Go while holding down the Option key.

For iMovie '11, in the Preferences folder locate the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" and drag this file to the Trash. For versions prior to iMovie '11 (currently version 9.0.8) the preference file has a slightly different name. For example, for iMovie '09 the file is named "com.apple.iMovie8.plist".

Open iMovie - a new preference file will be created with the default settings (this happens in the background while iMovie is loading).

If iMovie is now working OK, you can change the default preference settings as desired - click on iMovie's menu item "iMovie > Preferences" and make the desired changes for the relevant items in each of the tabs.

John

Mar 18, 2013 8:08 AM in response to John Cogdell

Thank you John. Unfortunately I had an issue with this. Being that I have Lion (10.7.5), I followed you advice to access the Library, which I had no problem doing. However, I could NOT locate "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist".

And I can't do anything in iMovie to preferences, etc, as it shuts down before can do anything. Any other suggestions? Again, very frustrating.

Just downloaded new iMovie 9.0.8 and it quits unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.