Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 10.8.3 update, Boot Camp Assistant not recognizing my 64-bit Windows 8 disc

Hello all,

Yesterday I got back from spring break and found out there was a new update to ML (10.8.3). After reading a bit, I found out that the new update supported Windows 8 via Bootcamp, so I uninstalled the old Windows 8 I ages ago via Boot Camp Assistant, and updated my OS to 10.8.3. Then, after attempting to install Windows 8 via Boot Camp Assistant, now it rejects my legit copy of Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, with a message saying, "Need 64-bit Windows 8"

A few months after Windows 8 came out, I read up an online guide to install Windows 8 without Apple's official support and it WORKED just fine. I just wanted to reinstall using the official support this time, and see what I get. Haha.

Please help me if you have a solution to this. (No way buying another copy of Windows 8)

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 7:50 PM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Timmy H. Yang

Had this problem too, found a solution.

1) Download the 64bit Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx)

2) Go through the Boot Camp process, selecting the downloaded .iso as your image.

3) As soon as your computer restarts, hold the option key. Boot back into OSX.

4) Go through the boot camp process again, BUT only ticking the first two options (in other words, don't touch the partition) selecting your original Windows 8 copy as your image.

5) Reboot while pressing the option key, select the (in my case) USB.

6) Proceed as normal - worked for me.

Mar 28, 2013 9:39 AM in response to taehu

I was able to download via Microsoft. The downloaded file was in a strange format but after changing it to .iso, it showed setup.exe which is what I recognize as Windows installer image.

The problem: I can't use the downloaded .iso image. Boot Camp Assistant requires me to insert a disc or a flash drive version of the iso.

The rest of the installation process I'm used to, I just can't get the right setup file to start the process.

After 10.8.3 update, Boot Camp Assistant not recognizing my 64-bit Windows 8 disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.