Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Itunes suck

I have used Macs for over 2 1/2 decades and ready to find somthing else unless these devices you have work together. I was having difficulty waking apple tv up and used my macbook pro to wake it up and I rented a movie to send it to the apple tv. To my dismay you cant do this so infront of comany I had to say sorry we have to watch this movie on 15" screen cause apple products apparently cant work together. Please tell me if I am wrong but this is a problem movie should be accessed on multiple devices if need elese Itumes really does suck. MS Xbox music and the zune is starting to look more promising.

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:07 PM

24 replies

Mar 17, 2013 8:19 PM in response to ewinter500

• If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV (1st generation), iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4 or later, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time.
  • If you download a rented movie on your iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV: It is not transferable to any other device or computer.

From the Apple Support FAQ page - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

MJ

Aug 30, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Mike Johnson12

Years ago I had ~600 CD's. I spent hours importing them into iTunes. This was years ago when my Mac hard drive was smaller therefore I loaded these files onto a larger external hard drive. Life was good all my songs as mp3's were there on my external hard drive. I donated all my CD's to local library. I bought a new Mac with a much larger hard drive and transferred my iTunes library from the external hard drive to my new Mac. My new Mac told me I did this - and I believed it. From time to time I'd play an album and notice that song was skipped. I'd be out for a jog listening of something and I'd tell myself to check it when I got back home. Well clearly that takes time. OK so what I am seeing is that many files (.mp3's) were not actually transferred from my old eternal to my new Mac. Why? I looked at the XML and sure enough I see that some files are listed on my old external and some have paths local to my new Mac. Why? Why list my songs but not really have them on my machine? Ever have a dinner party put on an album and find that two thirds of the album won't play because it is not on your machine? Further I am a member of Match and these songs are available on Match...but why does iTunes not pull from Match and play these songs. I still have m old hard drive from time to time I plug that into my new Mac so a song will play but the frustrating part is I try to add that actual .mp3 to my local library but I end up with duplicates and if I play the album I have to listen to the song twice. Example: An album with 10 songs, I see the warning circle with exclamation point near song 1, 3, and 7 - basically telling me it can't find the file. OK I plug in ex-hard drive and song is found - but I don't want to carry my hard drive. How do I properly transfer songs 1, 3, and 7 from the hard drive to this album. Copy and paste does not work - iTunes will not recognize it. It seems I must properly import the mp3, how? My attempts to import result in duplicate songs, and in fact when I play the album two songs actually play. Finally , if this song is on Match why does this matter - shouldn't it pull from cloud to play?

Aug 30, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Peter DiSalvo

Hi Peter,

I think you might be able to straighten this out by telling iTunes to consolidate your library. In iTunes > Help, there's an article called "Change where your iTunes files are stored" with a section called "Consolidate your files in the iTunes library." Try following the steps detailed there. Please post a follow-up if that doesn't work.

Sep 1, 2015 5:03 AM in response to richard grant

@richard grant

Thanks! "File > Library > Organize Library... > Consolidate Files" seems to have done the trick. My experience was not smooth but so far it seems to have fixed. For others, when I first ran "consolidated" , i saw song names whizzing by as I suppose they were migrating from external drive to my MBP. However the unnerving part was the false-positives that seemed to still linger in iTunes. For example I'd still see the circle with exclamation point in the far left column seemingly indicating the song file was still missing. I'd try to rerun "consolidate" but nothing would happen. Tried closing iTunes and re-launching - still same results. Bottom line - had to eject external, shut down iTunes, reboot MBP, leave external unplugged, so far I don't see the warning circle and I have checked a couple of albums. Given past history, I am not ready to bet the house on this, but so far seems to be fixed. Thank you.

By the way, why doesn't iTunes let us sort by the far left column so we could sort all missing files?

Or just provide a summary that states where songs are stored?

But that goes back to my original problem when I supposedly did migrate / consolidate all songs to my MBP years ago....why tell me I completed the task when in fact i had not. If I had lost my external hard drive I'd be out a good number of songs that iTunes told me were safely on my local drive.

Sep 1, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Peter DiSalvo

Peter DiSalvo wrote:

Years ago I had ~600 CD's. I spent hours importing them into iTunes. This was years ago when my Mac hard drive was smaller therefore I loaded these files onto a larger external hard drive. Life was good all my songs as mp3's were there on my external hard drive. I donated all my CD's to local library.

at which point you should have deleted the music on your HD as you no longer have a license to use it.

Sep 2, 2015 7:00 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

Peter DiSalvo wrote:

Years ago I had ~600 CD's. I spent hours importing them into iTunes. This was years ago when my Mac hard drive was smaller therefore I loaded these files onto a larger external hard drive. Life was good all my songs as mp3's were there on my external hard drive. I donated all my CD's to local library.

at which point you should have deleted the music on your HD as you no longer have a license to use it.

"at which point you should have deleted the music on your HD as you no longer have a license to use it."

Really? ...and I am not trying to sound like a j3rk. Please provide details. Also please explain how I can import my CD's pay for Music Match and then be able to access that song from iCloud anytime. How would iCoud know that my CD is no longer physically at my house, lost in a fire, etc.

Don't even get me started on my age, or fact that I have music industry people in my family and fully respect and acknowledge that artist should get paid. Yep I'm a guy who bought the 45s, then the albums, then the cassettes, then the CDs (twice as a matter of fact due to divorce) and then even some MP3's - by this time I've paid for frickin' several services of Robert Plant's cars and Jimmy Page should be paid to watch me play guitar, after he tells me which end to hold of course - but out of pure legal curiosity please tell me how you make that statement. If true seems we need to:

• put a warning on library donation boxes
  • fill landfills with CDs when the significant other needs room in the house
  • create some sort of system where one needs to present the CD, or receipt from 19XX, before actually playing the .mp3
  • Move CDs from storage bin and place near front door in case Girl Scout selling cookies is really the resurrected Ahmet Ertegün with Peter Grant and a baseball bat standing behind him.
  • Or pay Apple $10/mo - simply because.

Again I am sure you are not meaning to offend but out pure curiosity is that the law? and please cite.

Sep 2, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Peter DiSalvo

The CD is the license to use the music.

The artist will not receive anything from the next person who gets the CD. So you and the next person have paid for a single copy.

It's copyright law.

Apple pays the artists/labels out if that $10 a month. It's not "just because".

I am sure you are not meaning to offend

But you were somehow offended?

Sep 4, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

The CD is the license to use the music.

The artist will not receive anything from the next person who gets the CD. So you and the next person have paid for a single copy.

It's copyright law.

I comprehend the point about copyright law.

My point is that I do not know of any interpretation of the law that says I must keep the physical CD in my possession in order to legally play the copy that I legally made.

Sep 4, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Peter DiSalvo

If you don’t own the CD, where did you get the music? (rhetorical)

Or is it okay to purchase one CD, RIP it, then give it away to all your friends and they do the same?

-> http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/copyright.html

-> http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/rip-then-sell-your-cds.html

-> http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securitylegislation/a/mp3myths.htm

Sep 5, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Chris CA

"You no longer own the CD so you no longer have a license to use the music."

I believe that statement is incorrect.

As asked earlier please show me a legal document that says I am required to still have the CD in my possession in order to play my legally made copy.

My example. I import all my CD's to my MacBook and I leave my house where my CDs are stored. My house burns to the ground taking all my CDs with it. According to your statement I am forbidden from listening to my music on my Mac. Please tell me where this is stated.

Why does Itunes suck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.