Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We want to turn VPN off on our iphone5. When we follow instructions on website, it just keeps coming back on. thanks

How do we turn off VPN on iphone5. When we followed instructions from Apple support, it just keeps turning itself right back on. It appears to be using alot of battery too. Having to recharge phone often.

thanks

terry

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2017 12:47 AM

However old the question was it was exactly my problem today, so please don't knock it.

A search I made brought me to the question.

I have installed Tunnelbear on my IPAD to use abroad. It works well but I don't want it on all the time as the free version is very limited (500mb).

Simply turning it off in settings didn't work as it kept restarting.

the fix on IPAD that worked for me was

Settings

General

VPN (this is almost at the bottom)

Slide to "not connected"

This stops it from switching back on without uninstalling it.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2017 12:47 AM in response to gail from maine

However old the question was it was exactly my problem today, so please don't knock it.

A search I made brought me to the question.

I have installed Tunnelbear on my IPAD to use abroad. It works well but I don't want it on all the time as the free version is very limited (500mb).

Simply turning it off in settings didn't work as it kept restarting.

the fix on IPAD that worked for me was

Settings

General

VPN (this is almost at the bottom)

Slide to "not connected"

This stops it from switching back on without uninstalling it.

Mar 17, 2013 9:25 PM in response to janet1967

Hi Janet,

Since VPN is not an integral part of an iPhone, but simply something which an iPhone will handshake with, it is unlikely that Apple Support is going to be able to help you to turn it off if it won't stay off. You will need to contact your Admin support or IT support for the folks that had you install the VPN to start with. Here is an article that may help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1424?viewlocale=it_it

Cheers,

GB

Jul 9, 2013 6:45 PM in response to janet1967

I Just had the exact same problem.

i Installed an Avast product that used VPN, and it bled my battery dry!

i Uninstalled the app (so I thought) but the iOS VPN button would keep turning back on.

turns out I needed to delete the "VPN profile" tha had been created by the Avast software in iOS.

i Can't remember exactly how, but look under VPN in settings, under the on off option it should have a profile option, enter it and disable it

Oct 29, 2013 8:32 AM in response to janet1967

To prevent the VPN from turning back on go to:

Settings

General

VPN

Under the configuration click whatever one is there and then click remove.

the profile being there is what kept making mine turn on. It was Onivia i think and i had already uninstalled the app. If you are using your phone for work I would check with your systems administrator before deleting a profile.

Hope this helps your battery life!!

Cheers

Apr 29, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Feack

Thanks SO much for stepping me thru this!! I have been dealing with this VPN issue for about a week...coincidently it started about the time the lastes iOS update took place so I thought it had something to do with that and I was very frustrated to say the least!!

Now I also hope for a better battery management, but sadly, in everything I've been reading that may not be such a simple fix on my end. Been getting shut downs with 30%, 50%, sometimes even 80% battery life remaining, but will not power back on till I actually plug it in. Have been carrying around an additional battery pack now to get me thru my 10hr shifts at work...and most of that is standby time with periodic internet use.

Oh well, thanks again!!!

Mar 24, 2015 3:21 PM in response to janet1967

I have the same problem but I found an answer on another site that worked for me. So I decided to share it with you.

Greetings,
I would like to share a solution to a problem which I have just encountered on my mom's phone User uploaded file
After the government blocked access to Twitter and Youtube in my country, she installed a VPN app. But the problem was VPN started to turn itself on after its data limit is exceeded. Removing the app was not a solution. So I went through Settings > General and I deleted all VPN settings there, and then the problem was solved.

I copied the text from this site : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1813585

User uploaded file

We want to turn VPN off on our iphone5. When we follow instructions on website, it just keeps coming back on. thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.