Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can Safari be restored?

My system recently updated. Safari updated from 5.1.7 to 5.1.8.

From the get go things have been a little odd.

The first thing that I noticed is that the Safari icon disappeared. In its place is the unused/new app icon. After starting Safari, the icon does not change like icons usually do when an app starts for the first time.

The second thing that has happened is that I can no longer print fro safari. Hitting Command + P does not work. Selecting Print from the File menu does not work. The spinning colored wheel comes up and nothing happens. I can still close a window or Safari. I can still navigate through a page in another window. Safari doesn't freeze, it just doesn't print.

The third, and last thing, is that Safari appears to run a little more sluggishly, especially on startup.

Version 5.1.8 does not appear to be available as a direct download. If for some reason the installation was corrupted, it doesn't appear that I can redo it.

Version 5.1.7 will not install again since a newer version exists on this computer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 8,2

OS 10.6.8

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 12:35 AM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2013 8:31 AM in response to Eorb

My system [Macbook pro 2011 Mac OS X 10.6.8] also just updated recently to Safari 5.1.8...I've not tried printing but since the update I've had a bizarre problem when inputting text onto a forum. The text goes on fine but as soon as I add an emoticon [or insert a video] the text is deleted and all that remains is the emoticon [or vid]..

Weird..

I thought I'd try and reinstall 5.1.7 but ran into the same problem as you....also did the same security update...no change.

How can Safari be restored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.