Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reset using command + R to get to Disk Utilities in 10.8.2; it goes to original Reinstall screen instead. Help?

After researching security measures for my MBP I realized that using FV2 alone wasn't enough...I also needed to set a firmware password using the COMMAND + R reset. I did that and it worked fine. But then I realized that I wanted to make sure my system was running optimally, so I wanted to try using a suggested NVRAM reset using COMMAND + OPTION + P + R. Before I could do that it was my understanding that I needed to temporarily disable the firmware password, which I did. I then did a NVRAM reset (with the firmware password OFF) by holding down COMMAND + OPTION + P + R for three chimes. However, once I got back to the login screen, instead of logging in or turning the computer off, I decided to do another reset using COMMAND + R to once again visit Disk Utilities to re-enable the firmware password. When I did this, instead of again taking me to the screen that offers Disk Utilities (with a number of other options), it took me to the original reinstall screen. I was afraid that clicking on the next button (arrow with a circle around it) might begin an UNWANTED reinstall and wipe all the precious files that I'm actually trying to protect by using the FV2 and firmware password. So I turned the computer off. I waited and turned it back on and am able to login and do further NVRAM resets as normal, but it will no longer allow me to go back to the Disk Utilities feature using COMMAND + R during reset. Is there another way that I can just as easily add a password to the firmware? Or, is there another way that I can get back to that screen, and AVOID doing a reinstall? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:42 AM

4 replies

Apr 2, 2013 2:35 AM in response to R3searcher

Seriously?! Not 1 single reply?

I'll try to simplify my dilemma (please let a level 7 upwards see this):

When I reset holding COMMAND + R to visit "Disk Utilities" I am INSTEAD taken to the original INSTALL screen. All I really want to do is once again set a firmware password. What should I do? If I go ahead and install all over again, will I lose my data and settings? Is there another way to easily set a firmware password?

Apr 2, 2013 7:05 PM in response to R3searcher

Okay guys...figured it out.

1. The firmware password WAS still on (even though I had turned it off), assumably because I hadn't allowed the computer to restart normally 1st, after turning the firmware password OFF in the Recovery Disk Utilities Menu, before doing the NVRAM Reset using Command + Option + R + P.

BOTTOM LINE - ALWAYS ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO RESTART NORMALLY 1ST, AFTER TURNING THE FIRMWARE PASSWORD OFF/ON! If you want to do a NVRAM Reset after turning a Firmware Password off/on, do it AFTER you have logged in following a full, normal restart!

2. I was able to access the Firmware Password Utility by following these directions found on CNet:

How to set a firmware password without rebooting in OS X [In] OS X 10.7 Lion or greater

1. Enable the Debug menu in Disk Utility by opening the Terminal (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and running the following command (copy and paste it):
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

2. Open Disk Utility and choose "Show every partition" from the new Debug menu, and then mount the hidden Recovery HD partition by selecting it and clicking the Mount button in the toolbar.

3. Go back to the Terminal and run the following command to load the recovery disk image (copy and paste it):
open /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg

4. In the window that opens, go to the Applications/Utilities/ folder and locate the Firmware Password Utility.

5. Follow the instructions in the utility to set or reset the password.

See: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57520874-263/how-to-set-a-firmware-password -without-rebooting-in-os-x/

When I opened the Firmware Password Utility I discovered that it WAS turned on. I turned it off, and restarted the computer. After completing a normal restart and login I again tried restarting the computer holding Command + R. Unfortunately, when I do this it still takes me to the Initial Install Screen instead of directly to Recovery Disk Utility Menu.

I asked in another discussion: "What if rebooting while holding down Command + R doesn't take you to the Utilities Menu, but to the initial Install screen?"

I got this answer from Shootist007 under Re: How To Set EFI Password?, but I'm a little scared to try it:

"Ok I know what is going on. that screen comes up before the screen I posted. Otherwise if the screen you posted didn't come up people in other parts of the world would need to know English to navigate the screen I posted. Just select your language and then the arrow at the bottom and you should get the screen I posted.

From there you should be able to set the EFI password."

Can anyone else confirm this before I try clicking on the arrow button?

Also, once I was finished turning the firmware password on/off under the Recovery Disk Utility Menu (WITHOUT rebooting), I was able to Eject the Mac OS X Base System as I would any other drive. See the following article [at the very bottom]:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167870/hands_on_with_mountain_lions_os_x_recove ry_and_internet_recovery.html

Then (and only then), could I UNmount the Recovery Partition.

Note: It's also recommended (for safety reasons) that you then UNCHECK "Show Every Partition" under the Debug Menu (to prevent accidental future mishaps).

Additional Note: You will have to go through the entire process every time. i.e. Once the Debug Menu is on and the Recovery Partition is visible, mounting it alone won't allow you to use the second terminal line without 1st entering the debug terminal command 1st.

Apr 2, 2013 7:34 PM in response to R3searcher

I can't confirm anything for you but I think what you call the "Initial Install Screen" is just the normal 'choose language' one that I would expect to see any time a preferred language isn't stored in NVRAM & you boot into the Recovery HD partition.

IOW, it isn't an install screen, initial or otherwise, only what it appears to be.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Can't reset using command + R to get to Disk Utilities in 10.8.2; it goes to original Reinstall screen instead. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.