Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP installs SMC 1.1 update but after restart it is still the old version

Hi folks,

my SMC version is 2.3f32. When I run the update form App Store and restart it wants to install the update again and again. Even the manual installation didn't work out and it shows still the 2.3f32 version in my system information.

What could be wrong here?

Permissions are repaired, OSX version is 10.8.3.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:38 AM

Resetting NV/PRAM did help here!

Resetting only SMC didn't work out.

13 replies

Mar 18, 2013 12:30 PM in response to reery

Same here

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

will not update what ever i did.(10.8.3 after repairing permissions)

Mar 19, 2013 1:09 AM in response to Ronen1967

Hm, hard to tell what was the cause on your side. You've got exactly the same system like me. This is what I did:

Shut down completely. Resetted SMC (shift+ctrl+alt+power button pressed altogether, released, started Macbook), then instantly when the grey screen appeared I resetted PRAM (pressing alt+cmd+p+r altogether). The Macbook will restart. Then booted into OSX, installed the SMC update via App Store, rebooted.

If it installs correctly you'll see a grey screen with a bar and your fans will rev up for just ja second. If this doesn't happen, your update failed again.

Mar 19, 2013 5:25 AM in response to reery

I have the same issue here. I am on a Retina MacBook Pro (MacBookPro10,1) which is kept on 10.7 by the company's IT department. It is running Sophos AV and Sophos SafeGuard (disk encryption) and we authenticate via Active Directory.

The SMC 1.1 update keeps popping up in Software Update, even though I have installed it about 5 times (according to System Preferences -> Software Update -> Installed Software) already. The SMC firmware remains at 2.3f32 while it should be 2.3f35 after the update. I tried resetting SMC as well as NV/PRAM without any luck...

My guess is that Sophos' SafeGuard disk encryption is somehow messing things up as you have to enter your credentials on boot do be able to use the 'disk'. Even though the Sophos forums said it should be possible...

Anybody got a clue?

Mar 19, 2013 6:06 AM in response to 4np

Hi there 4NP

I do not have Sophos AV or any other AV product and it still falis...

Im aware of that on windows somtimes the AV catches legitimate software as Virus.

Did you try what Reery suggested? ( I didnt do it yet as im still @ work on my macPRo...)

Shut down completely. Resetted SMC (shift+ctrl+alt+power button pressed altogether, released, started Macbook), then instantly when the grey screen appeared I resetted PRAM (pressing alt+cmd+p+r altogether). The Macbook will restart. Then booted into OSX, installed the SMC update via App Store, rebooted.

See if that helps...

Apr 2, 2013 7:07 AM in response to 4np

Two weeks later and I have still been unable to sucessfully install the SMC 1.1 update, and nor have my colleagues. I have also contributed to a thread on Sophos' forums, as I suspect it might be related to SafeGuard. When performing a manual verbose install through Terminal all seems fine but the SMC version remains af 2.3f32 :S

User uploaded file

/Volumes/MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update Manual $ sudo installer -verbose -pkg MacBookProRetinaSMCUpdate.pkg -target /

installer: Package name is MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update

installer: Upgrading at base path /

installer: Preparing for installation….....

installer: Preparing the disk….....

installer: Preparing MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update….....

installer: Waiting for other installations to complete….....

installer: Configuring the installation….....

installer:

#

installer: Optimizing system for installed software….....

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

installer: Running package scripts….....

#

installer: Running installer actions…

installer:

installer: Finishing the Installation….....

installer:

#

installer: The software was successfully installed......

installer: The upgrade was successful.

installer: The install requires restarting now.

/Volumes/MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update Manual $

Apr 3, 2013 5:40 AM in response to 4np

I tried to install it again and looked at the messages in the console. It appears that Installer.app is not entitled for system.install.apple-software and system.install.app-store-software. I'm not entirely sure what this means, but it seems like there is an authorization issue... Does anybody know how to fix this?

User uploaded file

Apr 22, 2013 4:00 AM in response to reery

I had the same problem. Tried all the proposed fixes. Nothing worked. This solved my problem:

1. Install a fresh copy of mountain lion on an extern disk

2. Startup from that disk

3. Update to 10.8.3.

4. Restart

5. Open app store, go to updates. You should see the SMC 1.1. update.

6. Click update

7. Restart

Once the update installed (fan will go quickly to max speed during startup) switch back to your internal disk and start up. Now the SMC 1.1. update shouldn't show up in the app store/upadtes.

rMBP installs SMC 1.1 update but after restart it is still the old version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.