Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my built-in speakers to work again

I recently had my built-in speakers stop working less than a year after purchasing my MacBook Pro 15". About 24hrs ago, my built-in speakers were working fine. At some point, I was using my bose headphones, and after I unplugged them, my speakers did not work. I've confirmed that the sound is not muted. I have sound visible on the desktop bar, but it is grayed out. I looked on my system preferences for audio output, and my speakers are not listed as an option. Only optical digital-out is an option besides my Apple TV.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:39 AM

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

If you look in the audio output port, is there a red light showing. If so, the internal switch is stuck.. Insert the headphones a few times, jiggle a toothpick inside or shot some compressed air to trip the switch. If no success, have the Apple store genius bar technician do it.

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2013 7:39 AM in response to HPlusULK

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

If you look in the audio output port, is there a red light showing. If so, the internal switch is stuck.. Insert the headphones a few times, jiggle a toothpick inside or shot some compressed air to trip the switch. If no success, have the Apple store genius bar technician do it.

Ciao.

Feb 28, 2014 5:38 AM in response to HPlusULK

Hello, I have the same problem here on my Late 2011 17" MBP.

But resetting the PRAM didn't help it, nor wiggling headphones in the port.

Any ideas to get that fixed. I get perfect sound on headphones, and the speakers are obviously working perfectly, because the MACs startup boooong is comming loud and clear.

And right now, short after, trying to plug in a iphone microphone and control capable headphone into the jack helped it. But I get this problem every now an dthen.

What could be done about this?

How do I get my built-in speakers to work again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.