Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jailbroken iPod touch 4g. HELP ME!!

I let my friend borrow my iPod tough 4g and when i got it back it was jailbroken. I dont like the jailbreak on it so i tried to restore it. When i tried to restore it it tried to do a software update but the jailbreak wont allow it to do this. I dont know what to do at this point, what should i do?

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 9:25 AM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Bbarber14

You can try putting the iPod into DFU mode and see if that will let you restore and remove the jailbreak (the process for an iPod touch is the same as for an iPhone):

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mo de-on-your-iphone/

Some jailbreaks cannot be removed and in some cases will permanently disable your iPod. If that happens to you, then you will have to buy a new iPod; Apple will provide no support, warranty or out-of-warranty, for a jailbroken iPod. At that point I'd suggest you get this "friend" to kick in the cost of a new iPod.

Good luck.

Mar 18, 2013 11:06 AM in response to keeferaf

Recovery mode alone will not entirely clear most jailbreaks so he needs to follow the advice given by Varjak Paw and put it in DFU mode. The Touch does not have a baseband chip so this should clear it. There are no current jailbreaks that cannot be removed but they may have to go to Google if they need additional help.

Mar 18, 2013 1:29 PM in response to Ruurd Alberda

Ruurd Alberda, the poster said he already tried that, he said: " i tried to restore it. When i tried to restore it it tried to do a software update but the jailbreak wont allow it to do this.".

Ruurd Alberda wrote:

Ive bought a jailbroken ipod And i did not know how to remove it.

But this is the metod how i had it removed.

Connect to itunes and make a back up then restore your ipod and the jailbreak is gone.

It is very important to make a backup other wise it doesnt work

Mar 18, 2013 2:13 PM in response to Bbarber14

The backup saves every thing on the ipod then you have to delete the backup in your documents on your computer,

Then update the ipod this will download the original ios program instead of the jailbroken ios,

By deleting the backup you deltete the jailbroken ios and can start with a new ipod this also means that al your savings and music is gone.

This is how it worked for me

Jailbroken iPod touch 4g. HELP ME!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.