Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing Service keeps crashing Error Reading Settings, File Sharing Service keeps crashing Error Reading Settings

File sharing service keeps popping up with the error message An error occurred on the server while processing a command. This error occurred while processing a command of type 'getConnectedUsers' in plug-in 'servermgr_afp'.

I have tried multiple solutions on this site, unloading afp and restarting it, restarting postgres. The file sharing tab will show up for a few seconds on the server.app config page then once someone tries to access any of the shared volumes on there, the event log shows it crashing instantly. Error in console:

The server '127.0.0.1' reported an error while processing a command of type 'getConnectedUsers' in plug-in: 'servermgr_afp'. Error: Error Domain=XSActionErrorDomain Code=0 "SETTING_NOT_FOUND_ERR" UserInfo=0x7ffe6a835060 {NSLocalizedDescription=SETTING_NOT_FOUND_ERR}

Also I get the error com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.collabd.notifications[7520]) Exited with code 1 then always followed by Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds and this happens every 10 seconds without fail.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:48 AM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Cold--

Odd, I have experienced this issue as well, however I only have the problem appear IF I restart. The only solution I've come up with is I have an old disk image of my server that I restore and I then restart and it works again (of course now I have old stale data, but oh well). However if I simply restart one more time then it fails again... so basically I'm stuck, I can't do any upgrades of any kind because they require a restart which causes the problem to resurface. I have done all the usual disk checks and permission repairs as well as deleting some files mentioned in another thread. None of them helped. The only thing I have no yet tried is trashing all prefs and all caches. I'll try that the next time this happens. I keep hoping Apple or someone will post here with a simple "oh delete this file" type solution. Short of that I guess a total wipe and system reinstall should get it, but that's a lot of work and I've been putting it off.

Oct 24, 2013 11:06 AM in response to ArcticWolfNetworksIT

I have started getting this error this morning:

This error occurred while processing a command of type 'getConnectedUsers' in plug-in 'servermgr_afp'.

Using Server 2.2.2; MacMini running OS X 10.8.5, 2 GHz Core i7 with 8 GB RAM attached to a 12TB Pegasus RAID.

When the error appears, my users cease to be able to access file shares.

Often, just before the error occurs, my users experience substantial slow down in the Finder's responsiveness when manipulating files on those shares.

Restarting the Server App will produce one of several results

1. fix the problem (rarely)

2. fail to connect to server

3. connect to server but not get all services running.

The system itself resists a full shutdown, hanging at the grayish-white screen (not spinning wheel or cog or apple logo).

I wish there was some known fix for this.

Oct 24, 2013 11:14 AM in response to dave_reed

I stumbled upon a solution... I was on 10.8.3 for the longest time and after this cropped again I decided to just go ahead and let the system do the update to 10.8.4 - and that fixed it! I guess the updater must overwrite some file or files that were corrupted with fresh ones. I have since gone up to 10.8.5 without any problems.

You said you're already on 10.8.5 so you can udpate it, but maybe you can download the full "combo updater" manually and reapply it, I've heard that sometimes works for situations where some mystery file is corruptd and the updater just replaces the same files except in this case it replaces with fresh uncorrupted copies. Good luck, this one is really frustrating.

Jan 12, 2014 5:40 PM in response to ArcticWolfNetworksIT

I have spent numerous days trying to fix this using various solutions online. This included the deleting the shares in System Preference. Reinstalling the 10.8.5 Combo update from Apple was the only solution that has stopped the errors from occuring.

Our 10.8.5 server has now been running for 3 days without the File Sharing service showing the "Error Reading Settings".

File Sharing Service keeps crashing Error Reading Settings, File Sharing Service keeps crashing Error Reading Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.