Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

export settings imovieHD for large screen projection

hello,

What are the best setting to produice the best quality to export a project from imovie6 HD to a hard drive that will be used to project the project on a large screen in a movie theater at a film festival?

I have been asked to provide an Apple Pro Res file but that isn't an export option in imovie HD.

Also, I have a 33GB thumb drive with USB connection--are there differences between hard drives that could influence the quality of the result (or affect the speed of transfer of the file)?

any help from someone who has experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Jay

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:22 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2013 1:49 PM in response to bniblick

If they are asking specifically for ProRes it may mean that is the codec they need and are not able to handle anything else.

I would check with the technical folk running the festival to see if and what other formats they will be able to handle and what they recommend as a replacement. It's there equipment and there venue they should be able to recommend something.

If after that you still have questions post back.

regards

Mar 19, 2013 7:42 AM in response to bniblick

I thought someone with more experience with this sort of thing might have jumped in here but as no noe has I'll give it a shot.

I still think that the people with the projection equipment should be telling you want they want. Telling you a QT file means little there are many formats that a QT file can be in.

I would guess if it is HD then 1080p, H.264, best quality will probably get you the best video that you will be sure they can use.

good luck

regards

Mar 19, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for taking the time to address my question, Frank. You're probably correct about asking the people with the projection wquipment; however, different projects appear to benefit from different export settings and I was hoping to have a discussion with someone who is knowledgeable aobut how each of the possible settings might optimize the final look of my project when it will be projected in a large setting like a movie theater.

Do you think I should post this question with a different community? maybe Quicktime?

again, I appreciate your efforts and time.

Mar 20, 2013 4:40 PM in response to bniblick

Wlhen I made a H.264 720X480 SD QT file, the project file size decreased to 2 GB from a 25GB imovie file so I'm concerned that there will be a huge decrease in quality. Is there any way to retain the 25GB size file (and therefy retain the full quality of the original imovieHD project) for theater projection? QT files are acceptable by the projection staff.

export settings imovieHD for large screen projection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.