Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install a version of Safari compatible with OS 10.7.4

Both my MacBook Pro and MacPro are running )S 10.7.4. The version of Safari on my Mac Pro is more recent (6.0) than the one that was on my MacBook Pro. So I thought to update Safari on the MacBook Pro and I downloaded and installed Safari 6.0.3 It turns out, of course, that I can't use this version of Safari with OS 10.7.4 but there was no warning to this effect when I started the installation. I had a retained a downloaded version of Safari 5.1`.7 for Lion and tried to install it, but when I did an error message appeared stating that I could not install it since I had a newer version of Safari already installed. So this appears to be a Catch 22 sityuation in which I have installed an unusable version of Safari installed on my computer and it won't let me install a usable version. The fact is that I'm not going to install OS 10.8.x anytime soon, because some software that I use in my work is currently incompatible with the newer OS. What I have done for the moment is make Chrome my default browser. But I would be most appreciative if someone could tell me how to uninstall Safari 6.0.3 and renistal Safari 5.1.7 for Lion on my MacBook Pro. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.5 GHz Core 2 duo, 4GB RAM

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:36 PM

If you haven't got a backup, the only way to recover the Safari version is to reinstall OS X. Hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and reinstall OS X.

Only update Safari using Software Update. Also, you have to run often Software Update, because you were using an outdated Lion version

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Stephen Siegel

If you haven't got a backup, the only way to recover the Safari version is to reinstall OS X. Hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and reinstall OS X.

Only update Safari using Software Update. Also, you have to run often Software Update, because you were using an outdated Lion version

Mar 18, 2013 3:29 PM in response to Stephen Siegel

You ought to have 10.7.5 and the latest security update on both Lion macs, in which case 6.0.3 should work, or at least allow installing it again, assuming it was the Safari6.0.3Lion.pkg you used.

Failing that, (and it worked very well when I briefly tested rolling back from 6.0.2 to 5.1.7)... there is a 'repair' package that is intended to remove a broken 6.0.3 & revert to the previous version

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/49/44/041-8709/a8wz12kl2lfw6574aeff3gsde8twub3z7x/Safari6.0.3LionRepair.pkg

use at your own risk, and back-up first.

Can't install a version of Safari compatible with OS 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.