Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Sync Takes Hours, not due to backup

I did a little searching and see long iTunes Syncs are common...but most of the answers/solutions I saw pointed to the Backup process being the reason. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that's the reason in my case. Here's a breakdown of what happens when I sync my iPhone 4 to iTunes.

1) I start with iTunes open and responsive

2) I plug in my iPhone and it immediately pops up under devices, with the little pinwheel turning. However, iTunes essentially freezes here for upwards of 20 minutes. I cannot select the device or get into device settings, etc. I wait.

3) Eventually, I get the usual popups about updating the iPhone or transfering puchases to iTunes. I always opt to update my iOS outside of iTunes, so I cancel...and I opt to transfer purchases to iTunes.

4) Now the status bar will show 'Waiting to start sync' and once again sit there seemingly doing nothing for 20-30 minutes. This is where I've confirmed, or at least I think I have, that the backup process is not the issue. My backup files will show modified times stamps after this 30 minute hangup...all within about 1 minute of each other suggesting no single backup file is getting hung up.

5) Finally the status will go through Steps 1-6 of 7 in 1-2 minutes...including the backup.

6) The longest hangup then occurs on step 7 of 7, "Transferring Purchases from iPhone". Problem here is that every App that I've updated transfers the latest version to my computer. I can expect this to take about 3-5 minutes/app. So if I've updated 20 apps on my phone, this process will easily take an hour or more.

The other thing I should mention is that my computer is a few years old and I'm still transferring with USB 2.0. As a result, #6 above has always been a bit sluggish, and it may just be that I'm transferring more data than I have in the past which is why it seems to take a bit longer than I'm used to. But it has never taken nearly 1 hour after plugging in my iPhone to get to the point of Transferring Purchases to iTunes...so #2 & #4 above are my biggest concerns. This issue started the last 2-3 times I've synched my iPhone. Prior to this it would maybe take an hour if it had been a long time between synchs...now it seems to take 2-3 hours regardless of when my last sync was.

Any help appreciated.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:19 PM

There are no replies.

iPhone Sync Takes Hours, not due to backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.