Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting a LaCie 2Big thunderbolt raid

Hello!
I know this is not a specific apple question, but I'm trying to use this drive soley on a Macbook Pro.

I tried to re-format this Raid and it seemed successful. All of the data was cleared and the drive's name

was changed. However, the two raid sliced were not renamed, and I need those changed as well.

Any tips on how to do this?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:59 PM

9 replies

Mar 18, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for the response and help!

It is setup as a Striped RAID. I've checked the manual, looked all over forums, sent them a support ticket, but I have found no help anywhere.

At this point I'm just not quite sure what to do. I've tried to delete the slices and raid altogether, but it won't let me.

The attached image is what I see in Disk Utility.

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2013 7:04 PM in response to jesselavender

So if you go in and break the two disks apart, turn them into two separate disks, name and format them and then make them back into the stripped array doens't that work?

And while on the subject of 'Raid' 0 I quote from the LACie manual

One disadvantage of a Striped RAID Set is the lack of built-in data security. In the event that one disk fails, all the files become inaccessible since parts of each string of data are written across the striped pair. Therefore, LaCie highly recommends backing up data stored on a Striped RAID Set at least once a day. You can back up the data to your computer’s internal disk or another hard drive with sufficient capacity.

please remember that this setup will double your chances of a disk failure.

regards

Jul 5, 2014 3:58 PM in response to jesselavender

Dear Jesselavander,

You finally saved my day. I had the simple problem to reformat a new LaCie 2big, that was delivered as RAID-0, to a RAID-1 drive. Following the LACie manual it did not work, and I spent hours to go through documentation and "support". Totally unsuccessfully, until I found your post, took out the individual drives from the enclosure, one after the other, which made it possible to drop the RAID-0 configuration and to finally reformat to RAID-1. What I find annoying is how misleading the LaCie user manual is in this respect. It gives you the wrong impression that you can go straight from RAID-0 to RAID-1 via the the Apple Disk Utility. It would be great if the guys who write the user manuals provide a correct description instead of stealing your time.

Herbert

Formatting a LaCie 2Big thunderbolt raid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.