Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install Airport utility 5.6 after upgrade to OS X.10.8.3.

I need to configure my old AirPort Extreme base station. I have just upgraded to the newest update of OS X 10.8.3 on my Powermac. The newest Airport utility does not allow to configure the older versions of Airport Extreme base stations, the error message I got was:

This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information.

So I did and the above support article tells me to download Air Port utility 5.6. So, I am trying to install Airport utility 5.6 after an upgrade to OS X.10.8.3. But, when I try to do this, I get an error message "Air Port Utility can't be installed on this disk. This version of OS X on this volume is not supported".

Any ideas how to get around this error message? How do I reconfigure my old Airport Extreme station without being able to install the older verison of Airport utility? I'm sure I am not the only one who ran into this problem, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

PowerMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 6:58 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2013 7:42 PM in response to Msiegenth

Here are the basic steps to install version 5.6 under Mountain Lion using CharlesSoft's Pacifist:

1. If you haven't already download the AirPort Utility disk image file directly from Apple Support Download
  2. Place the resultant AirPortUtility56.dmg file onto your Mac's Desktop.
  3. Run Pacifist.
  4. Click on the Open Package option. Find the disk image file that you just placed on your desktop, and then, click on Open.
  5. The utility is located as follows: Contents of AirPortUtility56.dmg > Contents of AirPortUtility56.pkg > Contents of AirPortUtility56Lion.pkg > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility 5.6.app
  6. Drag AirPort Utility 5.6.app to your Mac's /Applications/Utilities folder.

You can now run the AirPort Utility from the Utilities folder.

Jun 19, 2013 2:23 AM in response to Msiegenth

I have the original Airport Express - model A1084. The Pacifist technique worked for me too, but version 5.6 didn't work for my AirportExpress. Instead for the version of the AirportExpress Utility needed, I had to get version 5.41. It runs and works great under OS X 10.8.4 Hooray!

I'm just not quite ready >>yet<< to buy a replacement brand new AirportExpress. Also, Apple just announced that they will have 802.11ac - something newer/better/faster than 802.11 a, b, g, and N.

The link to download 5.41 is:

http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Appl e_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/061-5931.20090302.Nmi7Y/AirPortUtility.dmg

Trying to install Airport utility 5.6 after upgrade to OS X.10.8.3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.