Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i Conditional formatting whole row

I

pages 09-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:41 PM

2 replies

Mar 18, 2013 10:49 PM in response to DGKraus

How do I set conditional formatting to set the color of all cells in a row if the test condition is true for only one of those cells?

For example, I want the whole row to be highlighted yellow if the date in the first cell falls in January. I have non problem getting cell with the date to format correctly. It's the other cells that I want to change.

Mar 19, 2013 12:46 AM in response to DGKraus

Conditional formatting rules apply only to the cell to which they are attached. They depend on comparing the value in that cell to either a fixed value, or to the value in another cell.

To format a row of cells, you need to attach a conditional format rule to each of those cells.

But you can create the appearance of setting the colours of all of the cells by using a second table. Here's an example.

Table 1 is the larger table on the left, the one we want to appear to have the conditional formatting. Table 2, the single column table, is the table that is actually given the conditional fill colour. Each cell in table 2, except the header row cell, A1, contains the formula shown above the tables, and the rule shown below the tables.

User uploaded file

The rule sets both the text and fill colours to the same shade of red when met.

Four more steps are needed before the formatting will appear to have been done to table 1.

1. Select Table 1 by clicking it's icon in the Sheets list, then use the Fill Color Well in the format bar to set its fill colour to 'none'.
  2. Select all cells of Table 2 and set the text colour to .White.
  3. Select Table 2, and use the handles to resize it to match the width of table 1. (Use the handle(s) at the middle of one of the vertical sides to change only the width. The height, and the height of each row, should be the same already if the font size has been set to the same size in both tables)
  4. Drag Table 2 over Table 1, then go Arrange > Move to Back.

Result shown below:

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

How do i Conditional formatting whole row

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.