Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Fails To Connect In My Office Network, Works on Reboot

This is baffling me and my network admin:

Mail fails to connect to any of my accounts at work. But it recovers if I reboot my machine.

Here is what happens:

- Mail works just fine at home. Connects to gmail, iCloud, and a 3rd party email account no problems.

- I get to the office

- I log in to the office WiFi with my password - for this I have to open a browser window, and enter my credentials.

(I kind of assume that this is the problem ^^)

- All my internet connections work fine, I can use the browser to access Gmail etc

- Mail refuses to connect to any of my email servers, and all accounts go offline

- Connection Doctor says "Mail can connect to the internet" but all individual connections are red, not reachable. I checked "detail" too - its empty.

Then I reboot my Mac, and after that everything's happy. Mail connects to my accounts normally, and Connection Doctor marks all as green.

Since it works on reboot, we can rule out network problems like closed ports etc. So the only thing I can think of is that Mail initially tries to connect as soon as I am on WiFi, then hangs (because I am not logged in yet), and somehow this hang is of a kind that does not recover (I've left it on for hours at a time, no difference, it never recovers).

Anyone have any ideas about this? Is there some way I can restart networking daemons to kill the hung connections. Or any other way I can diagnose this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 12:55 AM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2013 8:54 PM in response to Nikolaus Heger

A captive portal, which is what you have, can work in any of at least three ways: by HTTP redirection, IP redirection, or DNS poisoning. I'm guessing that yours is the last type. In that case, a TTL of zero should be used. If the TTL is non-zero, then Internet applications may not work until the DNS cache is flushed. That happens when you reboot.

You should discuss the possibility with your network admin. If the network configuration isn't going to be changed, you may be able to avoid the need to reboot by flushing the DNS cache manually, as described in the article linked below:

OS X: How to reset the DNS cache

Mail Fails To Connect In My Office Network, Works on Reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.