Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1 update?

Does it ever come a new update ? It's very bad that is not :-/

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 4:23 AM

6 replies

Mar 19, 2013 4:38 AM in response to Appgeek64

If you are running iOS 5.1.1 on the original iPad, that is as high as you can go. Apparently Apple felt that the hardware on the original iPad could not handle any further software features that we released in iOS 6.

I have an original iPad and I cannot imagine it working well at all with with is available in iOS 6. The original iPad only has 256MB of RAM. It would probably crash constantly, if it worked at all.

May 11, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Appgeek64

I think the lack of a camera was another reason why Apple felt the Ipad 1 and a few other devices shouldn't run ios 6. In fact, they haven't allowed a single device without a bult in camera to run ios 6. And while they allowed an ios 6 update for the iphone 3GS, which has a camera, they did not allow one for the otherwise identical ipod touch 3rd generation, which has the same screen, processor and RAM as the iphone 3GS but no camera. The latter got stuck on ios 5.1.1 just as the ipad 1 did, despite not having the issue of a larger screen that some argue would take up more RAM.

Message was edited by: Luigi A

iPad 1 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.