Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mass / batch converting NEF to JPEG in Aperture 3

Hi!

I'm at my wits end trying to work this one out... I have shot in RAW (NEF) format for the last few years and have 48,000 images in my Aperture 3 library... the problem is that I am running out of space and in need of creating space as well as working out an effective online cloud storage option.

I have decided to use DropBox premium.

They are all side notes and explanation...

What I need is to convert all RAW files to JPEG, I don't need the RAW files anymore really and do not want to export and reimport everything as it will take a lifetime (or at least feel like it!).

Any tips and ideas?

Thanks for all your help,

Greg

Aperture 3, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 5:59 AM

2 replies

Mar 19, 2013 6:41 AM in response to GregDillon

Hi Greg. As Terence implies, you've come to what is likely the wrong solution to your problem. The problem is common: we put our Libraries on our system drives, we use our camera(s), our Libraries fill up. There are two excellent solutions, one of which is built into Aperture. The built-in one is to convert some of your Images' Originals to _Referenced Originals_. Aperture moves the file to another location (usually a external or second drive), and retains the location information. In this way your Library can continue to grow as long as you space -- on any drive -- for your digital negatives (the files recorded by your camera). You control which Images' Originals you move, and where. Aperture makes it easy to move them back into your Library any time you want. The Originals that are stored inside your Library are called "Managed Originals".

Storage space is a bargain. External drives are capacious, inexpensive, and reliable.

You must back-up any Referenced Originals yourself (they are NOT included in Aperture's Vaults). I suggest buying drives in threes: one for the working copy, and two for back-ups that are rotated and are never in the same physical location

Are you interested in implementing this? If so, check out the User Manual re: Referenced Masters (afaik, the on-line User Manual has not been updated to the term "Original"), search this forum as well, and then ask any questions you have. (Sorry -- don't have time to post links right now.)

The second excellent solution? Become a much more aggressive gardener. Weed you collection regularly. Nurture quality, and compost the rest.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Mass / batch converting NEF to JPEG in Aperture 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.