Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code: ERROR ITMS-3000: "Line 79 column 29: element "data_file" incomplete; missing required element "checksum""

I have created an ebook in Jutoh {this is probably about the 120th book I've made} and am trying to upload in iTunes Producer. It validates properly but then I receive the error code mentioned above, ERROR ITMS-3000: "Line 79 column 29: element "data_file" incomplete; missing required element "checksum"" and I have NO IDEA what this means! Does anybody have an idea of how/what I need to do to fix this? Thank you in advance.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:12 AM

29 replies

Apr 1, 2013 12:59 PM in response to i13

After reviewing the debug output, I found that it was referencing a file that didn't exist in the ePub document. I thought that was odd because I had removed all references to that file. Turns out that producer wants the cover image that's embedded in the ePub to have the same name as the cover that's uploaded to the store via producer. Hey morons (Apple), they don't have to be the same name because you're not merging it back into the ePub! I have always submitted my titles this way. Really appreciate you just changing this on us over the weekend ( last book I uploaded was Thursday ), oh and the cryptic error message was a nice touch. Thanks!

This wouldn't have happened if Steve here...

Apr 14, 2013 10:26 AM in response to i13

Thank you for this useful info! I can't imagine how long I would've been trying to figure that out on my own. It's now uploaded successfully.

I've also been uploading ebooks to iTunes for a few years now (only about 15, but still). You're right that it's a stupid requirement. I've always used a different cover image (higher res) in the Cover Art section of Assets. But I'm not even sure you can use the same image file. If I remember correctly, I've had problems in the past by having images in the epub larger than 2 million pixels. But the cover art image has to be a minimum of 1400 pixels on the short side. So, for a "6x9" cover, you'd have a 2.94 million pixel jpeg, which would cause another kind of error. Maybe they've done away with that req, but either way, having to use the same image file is a useless requirement. I just used the same, larger cover image but gave it the same name as the smaller one in the epub (it lives in a different folder).

Apr 14, 2013 5:41 PM in response to Alex L.

Yeah, I remember when they started teh 1400 pixel requirement, I was not a happy camper that day...

Amazon doesn't care at all about the data ha! However, their awful pricing rules over shadow their ease of uploading. I still can't believe Apple got in trouble for "price fixing" when Amazon forces us to fit our titles into their "fixed" range, or else we get hit with a massive penalty (loss of royalty, which is the same thing)! That's the one reason I like iTunes over Amazon/Barnes & Noble, though we actually haven't uploaded to B&N yet.

Anyways, my workflow is: InDesign ePub export, Clean it up with Sigil, then use Calibre to split the pages, generate the TOC, and convert to Mobi.

Also, remember ePub is just a Zip file. So if you really want to inspect the file, change it's file extension to .zip and unzip it. I've tried doing this through Finder but it never seems to work so I do it via command line (Terminal). Then I can manually tweak it if needed. One example of this being a requirement, was when I was getting an error from Book Proofer that the ePub was encrypted! Turned out that InDesing placed a little xml file named "encrypted.xml" inside the META-INF folder. Luckily the fix was to just delete the file, zip the data backup and then change the extension back to .epub.

Apr 16, 2013 6:46 AM in response to drivincryin

I ended up calling Apple and I was told that it would have something to do with the metadata - but everything was the same! She did suggest, however, that I run the book through Apple's Book Proofer {which I hadn't done} and after doing so {and getting no error messages and also changing NOTHING in the metadata of the book OR in iTunes Producer}, it uploaded perfectly. I had received a check sum error on two books and did this with both books and they both uploaded without any problems. So you might give that a go if you're still having issues!

Apr 16, 2013 3:20 PM in response to princesgurl17

I'm having the same problem. Cover image has the same name. I have Book Proofer installed, but it looks like that only syncs the file to my iPhone, so I plugged my iPhone into my Mac to see if it syncs properly, and it tells me I don't have iBooks installed (I paid a third party to create my ePub file). So now, I'm downloading iBooks (280 Mb install) just to see if my ePub will sync to my iPhone through Book Proofer...... all so I can upload my book to iTunes???

This is the most bass-ackwards, non-user friendly BS I have ever encountered.

Apr 16, 2013 3:27 PM in response to princesgurl17

Here's the response I got from Apple when I reported this problem.

The delivery of your book ended in error because there is an issue with the MD5 checksum provided. Once received, the MD5 checksum (there is one checksum for each asset file provided) contained in the metadata file is compared against the actual file received by the iBookstore. If any differences are detected, the asset file and the entire corresponding package will be rejected.

To correct this upload error, add your book assets (i.e. sample file, if required, iBooks or EPUB file, and cover art) in to iTunes Producer again, make sure all required metadata fields are filled out, and click on Deliver when you are ready to deliver the book to us.

I didn't create the Metadata file or the EPub file myself, I hired a third-party vendor to do it because it's over my head. Now, I can't even upload it, because they can't put in plain English what the problem is, and I don't have the technical knowhow to examine the 'Metadata" and figure out what the problem is.

Error Code: ERROR ITMS-3000: "Line 79 column 29: element "data_file" incomplete; missing required element "checksum""

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.