Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Library

Hi

i have just purchased an external HD as i am running out of space on my imac.

i have moved my aperture library to my new external HD, this may sound studid but do i do with the library on my imac. Do I:

1) Just delete the library in finder?

2) Just open Aperture and delet the pictures from it?

3) something else?

just worried if i delete the library when putting pictures on my imac through Aperture it will have nowhere to put them if my external HD is not connected or my imac will loose a connection with Aperture library.

Any help would be good

Thanks in advance.

iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.7), imac

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:38 AM

Once the library and all the originals are safely moved to the external drive you can delete the old library from your internal drive by selecting it in Finder and moving it to the trash and emptying the trash as you would any folder/file.

The key point here is to make sure the library on the external drive is working correctly and that all the images are accounted for. You should run Aperture on the new library after you have moved he old library to the trash BUT before emptying the trash.

This way if there is anything in the copied library referencing anything in the original library you'll find out before you permanently remove the old library.

regards

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 8:38 AM in response to fffflip66

Once the library and all the originals are safely moved to the external drive you can delete the old library from your internal drive by selecting it in Finder and moving it to the trash and emptying the trash as you would any folder/file.

The key point here is to make sure the library on the external drive is working correctly and that all the images are accounted for. You should run Aperture on the new library after you have moved he old library to the trash BUT before emptying the trash.

This way if there is anything in the copied library referencing anything in the original library you'll find out before you permanently remove the old library.

regards

Mar 19, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for a quick reply.

if i trash the old library will i still be able to store pictures on my imac through Aperture if the external HD is not cnnected to my imac.

In other words if i plug my camera into my imac will it just create a new library on my imac.

i would still like to put picture on my imac to work with then move them across to my external HD.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2013 9:14 AM in response to fffflip66

What size is your system drive? your new external drive? you Library? How much free space do you have on your system drive (specify either with or without the Library)? (all in MB or GB).

If you want to continue to work with your Library even when the external drive is not attached, you should move some of your Images' Originals to the external drive, but leave the Library on your system drive. This is more complex than just having everything on your system drive, but is not hard to do or maintain. Aperture is set up to do this, and contains all the tools you need.

Old Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.