Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcuts not working

I want to create customized keyboard shortcuts so that I can open applications like Messages and Safari with the click of a few buttons.

I went to:

System Proferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shorcuts > Application Shortcuts

I pressed the + button and selected Messages from the drop-down menu, then made my shortcut:

Command + Shift + M

However, when I'm on my desktop, the shortcut does not work. It only works when I already have Messages open as my ACTIVE window. I press Command+Shift+M and Messages will disappear, similar to what happens when you press Command+H to hide a window. Unlike Command+H, however, when I press Command+Shift+M again, Messages will reappear. Same thing happens if I minimize Messages using Command+M first.

Why is this happening? I just want to be able to open Messages (by clicking Command+Shift+M) while I'm browsing Safari or something.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 11:17 AM

Nevermind.

My friend explained to me that Finder can't establish keyboard shortcuts on a globalized scale (globalized as in my Macbook Pro representing a globe).

So, I downloaded Quicksilver and made a bunch of HotKeys. It's in my menu bar, and it runs in the background. (Bonus: it barely takes up any RAM.) I would definitely recommend Quicksilver for every Mac user.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 11:17 AM in response to adrianaesque

Nevermind.

My friend explained to me that Finder can't establish keyboard shortcuts on a globalized scale (globalized as in my Macbook Pro representing a globe).

So, I downloaded Quicksilver and made a bunch of HotKeys. It's in my menu bar, and it runs in the background. (Bonus: it barely takes up any RAM.) I would definitely recommend Quicksilver for every Mac user.

Keyboard shortcuts not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.