Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is new bootcamp compatible with ubuntu?

I saw the new update of 10.8.3's notice.

I wonder if the new bootcamp still a simple compromise for just windows?

Is there a way to install ubuntu conveniently or Apple don't want users to do so?

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 9:56 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Boot Camp is designed to install Windows on a Mac, but you can install Ubuntu with it if you want, although it's not needed.

You can install Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro without any problem. Furthermore, there are a lot of how-to's in the Internet (some of them official) that tells you how to install Ubuntu. See > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 9:56 AM in response to gothicmoron

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Boot Camp is designed to install Windows on a Mac, but you can install Ubuntu with it if you want, although it's not needed.

You can install Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro without any problem. Furthermore, there are a lot of how-to's in the Internet (some of them official) that tells you how to install Ubuntu. See > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

Mar 19, 2013 10:30 AM in response to gothicmoron

gothicmoron wrote:

I wonder if the new bootcamp still a simple compromise for just windows?

Boot Camp is for Windows 7 (and Win 8 for 10.8.3) and not for Linux, at least not supported by Apple.

If you install Linux your on your own. Really on your own.

Is there a way to install ubuntu conveniently or Apple don't want users to do so?

Apple doesnt want you too, or else they would have included Linux.

They basically ignore Linux like it doesn't exist.

If your not super savvy or using a spare Mac/PC's to experiment on, I very HIGHLY recommend you experiment with Linux verisons in a virtual machine program instead if all your using is your main machine.

Windows in BootCamp or Virtual Machine?

With BootCamp, Apple provides compatible hardware drivers for Windows only. They don't release them for Linux.

However Linux types they supply their own and they don't always work as to be expected.

Also Linux versions come out rapidly, so your always having to fight hardware, software and especially driver issues or get pwned in a heartbeat once they find out your running a older insecure version.

With the virtual machine software, (VirtualBox is free and updated for older OS X versions) it jockys the driver and other issues between Linux and your Mac for you.

It's very unlikely your going to be doing anything CPU or GPU intense in Linux that you need full hardware support with a direct install, so having it in a virtual machine makes it easy to access, run and roll back to a earlier snapshot if things get a little hairy.

If things get hairy with a direct install, your whole Mac could be borked, and with firmware borked pernamently.

Apple doesn't cover user inflicted damage in the warrarnty/AppleCare, running Linux natively (direct boot) can qualify for that.

The genius run their little test, they learn of the Linux drivers in firmware and other places and they give you a lame excuse and send you packing.

Just to warn you. 🙂

Mar 29, 2013 7:19 AM in response to gothicmoron

gothicmoron wrote:

I was going to run some multi-core simulater on my computer. I still needed linux.

Then use a multi-core PC tower, a tower is better suited for high CPU and GPU uses as it has better cooling than a Mac laptop and it can be cleaned out of dust, also Linux is designed to be easily installed on generic PC's anyway.

Also you can use the Mac to get online and get assistance if the PC gets borked during the install.

Direct installing Linux on your Mac and only machine is commiting suicide if you don't know what your doing yet.

is new bootcamp compatible with ubuntu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.