Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Mac OS is available for an ibook G4?

I have a refurbished Mac that doesn't have an OS on it; I am not the original owner--it was given to me by someone who was going to throw it away after getting a new one. As expected, they didn't have any of the CDs that came with it.

Thanks!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 10:22 AM

It is likely able to run all versions of Leopard. You will need to look for Leopard on eBay, Amazon.com, or search Google. Be sure to purchase only a retail version (no discs with gray labels.)

It's possible Apple still sells replacement discs for the model, but don't take my word for that. Call:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 10:22 AM in response to true2texas

It is likely able to run all versions of Leopard. You will need to look for Leopard on eBay, Amazon.com, or search Google. Be sure to purchase only a retail version (no discs with gray labels.)

It's possible Apple still sells replacement discs for the model, but don't take my word for that. Call:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

Mar 19, 2013 10:26 AM in response to true2texas

Hello,

Depends on the specification of the iBook G4.

Anything above 867Mhz and 512 or greater Meg of memory would be capable of installing Mac OS X 10,.5 Leopard. Mac OS X 10.5 is the most recent OS any iBook G4 could have.

If you have the 800Mhz version of an iBook G4 (12") then you can install Mac OS X 01.4 Tiger as being the maxiumn OS avilable.

In most case the early 2003-2004 G4 would have come with mac OS X 10.3 Panther. I would recommend Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.5 if it can install it.

Hope this helps.

What Mac OS is available for an ibook G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.