Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 Boot Camp on MBP early 2011

Hello,

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13" early 2011, and I've just upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3, which should support Windows 8 via the new Boot Camp software. However, I've tried to download the new Boot Camp drivers using "Boot Camp Assistant" but the utility says that on my Mac only Windows 7 is supported. Is this true, or there is a work-around to upgrade the existing Boot Camp utility?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply
10 replies

Mar 19, 2013 10:02 PM in response to keplero

I also have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011, and have upgraded to OS X 10.8.3. I attempted to install Windows 8 via the "Boot Camp Assistant" utility application, and received the "Your Mac only supports Windows 7" message when attempting to "download the latest Window support software from Apple."

According to this Apple support article, the early 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro should be capable of running Windows 8 (64-bit) with Boot Camp 5: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Apparently this is a glitch in the Boot Camp Assistant, as I've read of it affecting even newer MacBooks. With the "Your Mac only supports Windows 7" message, I was uncertain that Boot Camp Assistant would download the correct set of drivers for use with Windows 8. Instead I went to this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638 and downloaded the Boot Camp Support Software there. I followed the directions to copy the contents of the downloaded .zip file to the USB flash drive. Then I used Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 8 after deselecting the "Download the latest Window support software from Apple" option. After Windows 8 was installed and opened then I opened the Boot Camp folder on the USB drive and double clicked on "setup.exe". Windows 8 has since performed flawlessly on my MacBook Pro, so I believe this to be a suitable work around. Hopefully Apple will soon correct the flaw in the Boot Camp Assistant.

Windows 8 Boot Camp on MBP early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.